Second Skin Audio

Underpowering Subs vs Giving RMS

Lets say i have two 12's. each seperate. and one rms at 250 and the other at say 1000. tthe xmax on the little one is obv smaller. but here the question. if i give 250rms to the 12 that is rated at 250, and give 250rms to the one rated at 1000. would the smaller rated one perform better because its getting the right amount. or would the bigger one still be louder even at the same rms as the smaller one. orrrr. would they technically be about the same. given box is the same and s optimal for both (somehow) and same car and song, and amp.

this is a decent question

and as always it may not be the same from one setup to the next

BUT i would think the one getting rms would prove to be better than the one not getting rms

one thing ive noticed is at rms or under subs can play a much wider range regardless of box because their limits are not being reached. once you get over the rms though you can watch your lows disappear

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

They would be the same. It's like driving a honda civic and a F1 car both at 50mph. One is CAPABLE of going faster, but they're still going the same speed.

"Cheap, good or fast. You can only pick two out of three."

"Have money? Love story! No money? I'm sorry."

The two key variables here is the larger speakers motor and suspension. If it has a very stiff spider pack designed to keep the cone under control at or above 1k it will restrict output on the driver at 250w. Whereas the smaller driver will have the correct motor and spiders to be most efficient at that power. If the big driver has a relatively soft spiderpack for a 1k driver it may perform closely with the smaller driver because the extra motorforce on the larger one will compensate for the stiffer setup.

My. 02

would it stress the amp but trying to push the tougher sub?

no

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

so heres why im asking. i have 2 12 mtx sub in a sealed box that can take 400rms (so they are underpower actually) and my amp gives 250......im putting in a 15" skar sub that is 600rms (planning on pushing it to about 1000 daily) in a ported box at 35hz. even though the sub is less area, it is ported, and take more. so hopeing itll be way way louder....but for now i only have that 250rms amp. would i be better off keping my set up and waiting for a bigger amp?

1000 watts is more than enough on that sub...build a custom box for it and never look back

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4