Second Skin Audio

Is birch ply worth it?

Im looking at a 15" Fi BL, to be powered by the BRZ1700.1d i just got. Im in college right now so its gonna be a lil bit till i can save the money up for the sub, and electrical upgrades (currently running it at 2 ohms on my clarion 12s). Is it worth the extra money to get say, 13 ply birch over MDF? My friend will be building the box, he does woodwork for a living, i just wanna know if birch is worth the money or not cuz last i checked it was a LOT more than MDF for a 4x8 sheet. The design i have drawn up is 3.48 cu. ft. @ 32Hz, i got 45s in each corner(minus the one next to where the sub is cuz its too close to the corner of the box the way this is layer out), each vertical corner at least, and 2 3/4" dowels running vertically, horizontally and laterally from front to back for bracing. and 3 inside the port too to keep that from flexing too much. Could i get away with MDF? I kinda wanna do birch and have him stain it. And ill have to build an amp rack since i won't want my amp mounted to that, its alright mounted on the port wall of my current box.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

We was gonna do birch but really i didnt see the point of spending that much when i needed 5 sheets of it lol and siu? lol i live in marion

Drone: Was spent a semester at SIU, most of my tags on anything have saluki in them cuz thats when i got into the cyberworld, so to keep shit simple from forum to forum, i still use it, even though i spent only my fall 07 semester there, after that was back home for a few years, then Stillwater, OK (GO POKES!) so you'll see cowboysaluki someplace, thats me, now I'm back in st charles, il, going to school in the city.

OrionStang: My friend who's building the box builds custom cabinets and does all sorts of woodworking, its his job, id go through his place if i go with birch ply, i don't want it to be cheap and full of voids.

Kranny: I understand that, but is it worth the extra money, thats what I'm asking.  Im already looking at 300 for a sub, another 150 for sound deadener (haven't done my trunk yet....), probably 200 on batts, an extra 60 worth of 1/0.....so i can look at it as one of two ways, I'm already spending enough to do it right, may as well go all out, or save some money and paint/bedline the box.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Think of it like better gas milage lol

I always buy birch way better in my opionon

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

i still get 27-28mpg city with my 12s in an MDF box that took a whole sheet of MDF.  For some reason the CVT gets great city mileage, but since i like doing about 80 on the highway its highway MPG is typically around 25MPG.

Archived