A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

Sorry to hear about this. I know how you feel. They ripped out my freshly installed pioneer double din on my driveway during the middle of the day. The shitty part is that the cops these days are so underfunded that those finger prints they take don't do shit and they get put in the "evidence" room.Crooks these dont give a care where or when. All I know is now all my setup is covered by my insurance now. Might be something you would want to look into.

Cops are so incompetent and overpaid. The funding for the actual police work is hefty enough too however, believe me, most people's prints just aren't in the system. Prints only work if you catch who you think did it and match them up or the person has been previously booked and printed. I know plenty of cops.

I'm gonna hate

Thanks for all the kind words and support fellas. I really appreciate it. With that said, time to move on.

I was lucky enough to save the single din install kit the suburban came with. :) The 9887 was/is for a future project. :P All I needed to buy was the chime adapter, which came with an adapter harness. :)

DSC04899.jpg

Here is the harness ready for install. I took out the pins that wouldn't be used, just to keep things simple and clean. Another thing I did was keep track of the connector pin out in their respective manuals. This is just in case I need it for reference or if the items are later sold. :D

DSC04904.jpg

This is the area of the dash face trim piece that got booger-ed up. :\

DSC04906.jpg

With a little head gun action I was able to massage the plastic getting it close to it's original shape. :\

DSC04907.jpg

Here is a shot of everything the geniuses left behind when taking the sat/nav unit. Idiots. :P Good luck to who ever thinks they're getting an Alpine Sat/Nav unit on the cheap. :D

DSC04909.jpg

Since the RCAs got torn up I opted just to replace them. This required the front seats to come out.

DSC04910.jpg

With a little time to burn I decided to shorten the new RCAs, since they are about 10ft too long. Here is a comparison shot of how long the cables are versus how long they need to be.

DSC04913.jpg

These are the cables I'm using. Also pictured is the amount of cable on the original set that was coiled up underneath the front seat carpet. :D

DSC04912.jpg

Measure twice cut once. :) A quick measurement to make sure I've got enough wire to feed through the wire pants.

DSC04915.jpg

To pull the wires through the pants I soldered some extra wire already in the pants.

DSC04918.jpg

With a little patients and a little persuasion I got the wires through. :)

DSC04919.jpg

The ends soldered on waiting for a little shrink tubing for added protection.

DSC04920.jpg

With the RCAs run, I got the harness in place. A couple of zip ties keeping things together.

DSC04925.jpg

New radio installed. Woot, woot. :)

DSC04926.jpg

A little action shot of the head unit powering up.

DSC04937.jpg

Sanzzy. :D A little over kill since I'm running the MS-8 but as the ol' saying goes, "Use what cha got."

More to come. :)

a good ole single din is all you need anyways brother, glad to see your still working on it

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

My parents got broken into their house last week for the 5th time in 5 years... not a good feeling... :sorry:

It probably took some time hooking it all back up, but it looks like a quality job! Nice system.

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

My Suburban has what Chevy calls a remote actuated key-less entry system. Nothing fancy when you first think about it, but when you really study it, there are some real benefits to be had. The system employs keyed tumblers in only the drivers side door handle and the rear barn door handle.

As my first step towards theft deterrent, I'll be converting my SUV to a true key-less entry system. To do this, I'll be replacing the broken, drivers side door handle with a rear drivers side door handle, which does not have a key tumbler. I'll also be replacing the rear barn door handle with a similar handle without a key tumbler.

Here are the handles. One drivers side handle and one passenger side handle for the rear barn door.

DSC04939.jpg

A quick comparison shot of the original drivers side door handle with the replacement door handle with no key tumbler.

DSC04940.jpg

Here I compare the original drivers side handle, top, with the replacement handle. As you can see the mechanism that triggers the latch mechanism is different between the two handles. I'll be swapping the original mechanism over to the new handle. A keen eye will also see the handle mounting provision nearest to the latch mechanism is different. Looking at the sheet metal on the door a notch will be required to clear the stud. The flanged nut that mounts the handle will still have enough bite to secure the handle properly.

DSC04941.jpg

Here is a close up of the original latch mechanism transplanted on to the new replacement handle. A couple of flat washers and one lock washer were used as spacers in between the standoffs on one side.

DSC04943.jpg

Here is the new, key-less handle installed.

DSC04945.jpg

Now all four entry doors are key-less entry doors. Only way to unlock the door without the remote now is to break a window.

Now on to the rear barn door.

I originally imagined using a key-less passenger side door handle for the rear barn door. Upon dis-assembly I discovered that the rear barn door handle is of a completely unique design that would require significant customization to obtain the look of the other four handles. Eff that, time for plan B.

I completely removed the key tumbler from the handle. I replaced the tumbler with a modified carriage bolt. By modified I mean I faced the dome flat on the carriage bolt. Here is a pic.

DSC04946.jpg

Like all carriage bolts, I secured this one with a nut, lock washer, and a flat washer. The bolt was cut down after the pic was taken. :P

DSC04950.jpg

In the end I painted the carriage bolt head. Here is a pic of the final install of the rear barn door handle.

DSC04951.jpg

A big thanks to fellow member crunkjuice1 for the idea.

:)

I'm glad to see that bolt!!!!! I can't buy the keyless handles I'm just going to remove the passenger door tumbler and the wire that goes to the actuator and have it match the driver side I did. They will have to waste more time trying to get at anything to just open the doors. It sucks to have to do things like this but I'm in whats now considered the westside. a few weeks back my gas was being stolen. Damn rats I will be needing your help securing box to truck for sure. Take care Beavis :turkey:

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

Archived