Alternator Adjustment - Need Input

So the alternator on my car is PCM controlled and I am trying to make some sort of voltage adjustment for it.

My theory is this: To artificially lower the voltage on the reference wire so the PCM will try and compensate for that and raise the charging voltage.

Assuming this would work: what would you guys say is the best way to do this? Get something like this, install it on the reference wire, pull out my multi meter and tune the voltage? Or is there a better way?

Guest DC Power Rob

VERY bad idea, especially on that system.. The PCM doesn't just "control" voltage like GM's RVC, it's the "voltage regulator".. You do NOT want to mess around with that PCM because as regulators go, it's 1000x better than anything you can get for an internal alternator, and also 10x more powerful.. You DO NOT want the PCM to think voltage is lower than it is on that system because the PCM will just start dumping field current into the alternator until it "sees" what it want's to, and depending on how low that voltage is, you might hit 19-20v out of the alternator before the PCM sees a satisfactory reference voltgage, and in case your wondering, your stock alternator is capable of hitting about 28v full fielded.. Just, don't, do it... You can do it on externally sensed internally regulated alternators, but just don't do it on that system...

Well darn... Are there any other ways to accomplish what I want to do?

Well that sux...

I can't find any dual alternator kits either :unknw:

Archived