Hdmi or RCA inputs for audio?

If you have the RCA in, most revievers will play the rear left the same as front left, and the same with the right. So it wont be true surround, but most likely it will pump sound to every speaker

Im a broke student. still manage to have a pretty good system though.. (at least i think)

• 2 weeks later...

HDMI is digital, and carries a 5.1 signal. Most newer recievers probably have more options than an old EQ with only RCA in/out anyway. I know mine even has a HPF for the other speakers. Either way there's also options for Optical in, PCM (which is still an RCA cable, but it carries a digital signal instead of an analog one). All of which should be better than RCA only. If you use RCA only and are trying to do 5.1 or 7.1 you would need an external decoder to convert it to an analog signal then out to 6 or 8 RCA's. The reciever should have inputs for that, though I'm not sure that its the best way to go.

Juat about any source unit you have will only put out signal for left and right ... hence red and white RCA outputs ...

Your reciever "Processes" the signal to a 5.1 surround sound output ...

HDMI, fiberoptic, RCA, or even coax cable ... it doesn't really matter to a everyday system ... your Reciever will process the information to your system output ...

I will say the better the source unit, the better the signal will be to the reciever ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch