glad to see you made it to the forum.. i had a feeling you would chime in on this. there are some real knee slappers that happen in this sub forum.. so be prepared.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

also. the default profile pic actually looks like your outline with your puff of hair at the top ;)

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

I'll add some here the detonation suppression from higher octane is due to it burning slower this is why you saw a mpg increase when going from 87 to 89. does your truck need premium? no! would you gain mpg from it ? most likely! chances are the increase in mpg wouldn't justify the increase in cost per/gal. my 2 cents

This is true

but it is much easier for the car to run on 90+ octane, after I rebuilt my engine I only use high octane!

Its easier on the engine

Offers you more power

and better gas milage

Now if u don't think that's worth the exta 20 cents LOL AT YOU

Alot of cars require it now, most high end cars do too, also if you own a car from 99 or older ur hurting it by not using the higher octane which was the lowest octane 10+ years ago

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I'll add some here the detonation suppression from higher octane is due to it burning slower this is why you saw a mpg increase when going from 87 to 89. does your truck need premium? no! would you gain mpg from it ? most likely! chances are the increase in mpg wouldn't justify the increase in cost per/gal. my 2 cents

This is true

but it is much easier for the car to run on 90+ octane, after I rebuilt my engine I only use high octane!

Its easier on the engine

Offers you more power

and better gas milage

Alot of cars require it now, most high end cars do too, also if you own a car from 99 or older ur hurting it by not using the higher octane which was the lowest octane 10+ years ago

not entirely true lower octane actually produces more power. unless the engine was designed around higher octane, if your dash or inside fuel door says premium only your engine was designed for higher octane, if not you'll get more power with 87 than 93 i have literally thousands of dyno hours to prove this. engines that dont have advanced timing curves and higher static or dynamic compression ratios will lose power as octane increases from the slower combustion burn, alternatively they gain mpg from the slower burn.

glad to see you made it to the forum.. i had a feeling you would chime in on this. there are some real knee slappers that happen in this sub forum.. so be prepared.

higher octane fuel has less energy per volume compared to lower octane. I just sat through a week of Automotive engineering talking about octane and fuel energy.

correct!! the btu's are lower per volume and engines convert the thermal energy to mechanical, timing and compression along with head design and cyl cooling and many other factors contribute to how efficiently the energy is converted but i was tring to keep it simple :) im retired from GM. i worked advanced engineering dyno labs doing engine development.

higher octane fuel has less energy per volume compared to lower octane. I just sat through a week of Automotive engineering talking about octane and fuel energy.

correct!! the btu's are lower per volume and engines convert the thermal energy to mechanical, timing and compression along with head design and cyl cooling and many other factors contribute to how efficiently the energy is converted but i was tring to keep it simple :) im retired from GM. i worked advanced engineering dyno labs doing engine development.

Sounds like a fun job to me. Did you do any modeling of the motors or were you more responsible for the actual testing?

not to thread jack but i did the actual testing

This is true

Its easier on the engine

Offers you more power

and better gas milage

not entirely true lower octane actually produces more power. unless the engine was designed around higher octane, if your dash or inside fuel door says premium only your engine was designed for higher octane, if not you'll get more power with 87 than 93 i have literally thousands of dyno hours to prove this. engines that dont have advanced timing curves and higher static or dynamic compression ratios will lose power as octane increases from the slower combustion burn, alternatively they gain mpg from the slower burn.

Ok so how would u explain this

My dads work truck.

1988 chevy 454 throttle body 3+3 its the rv speical with a dump bed

When this truck came out there was nothing lower than 92 octane edit( not true) lol

There is no way it will run better on 87 than it will on 93/92

Its designed for it, the higher octane, just like how if u have a pre 1950 car and sometimes 1960 you have to add octane and LEAD to every fill up

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

sir im not going to argue with you!

Obviously your backyard phd is better than all my years of school.

by the way fyi 55% of all unleaded fuel sold in 1988 was 87 octane http://books.google.com/books?id=-iBd2mplgQwC&pg=PA535&lpg=PA535&dq=1988+regular+unleaded+octane&source=bl&ots=gcgAthR13K&sig=RwaNEno4K7Dd7_TjxVNAmm5wwYQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_MapT5XjEZGq8ASC4YycAw&ved=0CG8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=1988%20regular%20unleaded%20octane&f=false

you dont have a clue what your talking about.

Archived