I have an 03 f250 v10 when I first got the truck used I was running 87 pump gas and after awhile I started running 89 just to clean everything out and all that good stuff, but I did notice a .5-1 mpg extra mpg so I kept using 89. So now im.wondering if I can run 91 safely without having to program it to run 91? And if it would even give me any different gains in mpg/hp/torque?

BABYJUICE

Octane number is the resistance to detonation. If the octane number is high

enough to prevent detonation, there is no need to use a higher octane gasoline since the engine will not make

any additional power.

will not hurt the motor but at the same time you also might not see any difference, i've tired 85-110 in my jeep runs best and gets the most mpg at 87, most the new stuff won't hurt it at higher level as most ecm's will adjust themselfs to make up for it, don't take my word for it tho cuz i know some that don't and some of the high high end has lead in it still. anywas 93 shouldn't be a problem just run you tank close to emtpy but like 5 or 10 bucks in and see how she profroms. i wouldn't do full tank cuz you might be just wasting money

The only time you need to run a higher octane in your truck, is if you are towing a heavy load. The high load will increase temperatures. But you only need to run it if you have pre-ignition. If you have pre-ignition under normal conditions, you have more issues.

here in europe we have a 95, 98 and a 100 octane gas.....mostly is used the 95 or 100 octane because it has high value....

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

• 2 weeks later...

enough to prevent detonation, there is no need to use a higher octane gasoline since the engine will not make

any additional power.

The only time you need to run a higher octane in your truck, is if you are towing a heavy load. The high load will increase temperatures. But you only need to run it if you have pre-ignition. If you have pre-ignition under normal conditions, you have more issues.

Couldnt have said it better myself. You must have an engineering background. Higher octane is used in engines that have a higher compression ratio and if you run lower than needed you'll get engine knock.

Only cars I've ever noticed a difference in were my friend's SC300 (high-compression NA 2JZ) and my Dad's Q5 (2.0L turbo motor). That said, high-compression scenarios are much more sensitive to octane rating.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

any additional power.

Unless you have different tunes. My flash tuner has tunes for 87, 89, 91, 93(wish we had it here).

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Good advice in here! (iso)Octane has a higher burning point than heptane, so it resists early detonation. Cars that require higher octane run hotter, and you'll lose power (your computer will change the timing) if you run lower octane in them. You shouldn't see benefit from jumping up in octane if your car does not call for it (also, it shouldn't "clean it out" as far as I'm aware).

RF 12" P3D4

RF 300.1 ~ BC: 430w

4 x Infinity Reference 5012i

B-Quiet Extreme

I'll add some here the detonation suppression from higher octane is due to it burning slower this is why you saw a mpg increase when going from 87 to 89. does your truck need premium? no! would you gain mpg from it ? most likely! chances are the increase in mpg wouldn't justify the increase in cost per/gal. my 2 cents

glad to see you made it to the forum.. i had a feeling you would chime in on this. there are some real knee slappers that happen in this sub forum.. so be prepared.

Archived