Will my alt be ok?

Gettin a crazy good deal and gettin two brand new yellow tops with warranties for 150 bucks..if I run them and my stock battery will that be too much for my 160 amp stock alt? The amp I'm running is a bxi2607d and I'll also be running a P400-4 for mids and highs

First I wouldn't use 3 batteries for those amps, either 1 yellow top in the factory location or the stock bat plus 1 yellow top in my opinion. Factory alts are made only for stock accessories and one battery... anything over 1500watts RMS I would upgrade the alt at least a little unless you have super efficient amps like the Kicker IX or the new Rockfords... I'm guessing the Hifonics is not at all, just my guess no experience with them. Again all just my opinion I'd rather have a well built and powered system then one constantly under strain.

PS: Batterys are useless if your alternator can't keep them charged. Think of it as filling a 5 gallon pail from a garden hose, then trying to now fill 3 pails losing water at a faster pace with the same hose, food for thought.

Edited by Brandon4078

"The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt

First I wouldn't use 3 batteries for those amps, either 1 yellow top in the factory location or the stock bat plus 1 yellow top in my opinion. Factory alts are made only for stock accessories and one battery... anything over 1500watts RMS I would upgrade the alt at least a little unless you have super efficient amps like the Kicker IX or the new Rockfords... I'm guessing the Hifonics is not at all, just my guess no experience with them. Again all just my opinion I'd rather have a well built and powered system then one constantly under strain.

lol. i would use 3 batteries for any 2500 watt amp if i had the chance. the more the merrier.

a factory alt can charge as many batteries as you want. obviously the more you add, the less reserve your alt will have for amplifiers.

he has a 160 amp alt. that will be fine for 3 freaking batteries, let alone 2.

do the big 3 and you should be fine. just watch your voltage.

your logic isn't that great, so you should probably read up for a little longer before posting suggestions.

your logic isn't that great, so you should probably read up for a little longer before posting suggestions.

Well using physics, University Physics II to be exact... His first amp can put out 2600 watts plus the 400 watts of the second amp = 3000 Watts. Lets say 14.4 volts is desirable... Using P (watts) divided by E (volts) equals I (amps) or 3000/14.4 = 208 amps roughly and that's without the in efficiency of the amps or the cars draw... he is only charging with 160 amps, my logic doesn't add up??? Ok then...

"The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt

Well using physics, University Physics II to be exact... His first amp can put out 2600 watts plus the 400 watts of the second amp = 3000 Watts. Lets say 14.4 volts is desirable... Using P (watts) divided by E (volts) equals I (amps) or 3000/14.4 = 208 amps roughly and that's without the in efficiency of the amps or the cars draw... he is only charging with 160 amps, my logic doesn't add up??? Ok then...

he simply said he would be fine just to watch voltage... for what the op is doing is fine and the price hes getting the batts i would say go for the 2 batts setup. i am running more than 3000 watts in my car and its just fine and i have a stock 130amp alt

Everyones math is wrong, for 150 bucks for 2 of them they will only work in my truck so send them to me asap! LOL you will be fine just do as Kranny suggested and check the voltage you will want to toss them on a charger and top them off but I do that with all of my builds no matter what amp, alt or battery.

he simply said he would be fine just to watch voltage... for what the op is doing is fine and the price hes getting the batts i would say go for the 2 batts setup. i am running more than 3000 watts in my car and its just fine and i have a stock 130amp alt

It might be ok to watch the voltage, and I have no problem with that at all... Earlier I was simply giving my opinion for an electronically sound system witch I prefer if I were going to be blasting music for a long duration of time with out having to let my alt catch up causing strain to the system... I just don't enjoy being called a liar when there are facts to be considered, and was simply liberating myself. Don't mean to be rude to you or any one else. I just want to make the facts known and not be bashed for it cause its not the "normal way". Again not trying to be rude.