2012 Corolla build...No Longer (New Truck)

So i am going to start on my wife's car with a custom enclosure in the trunk. Its a 2012 toyota corolla and i will place it in the wheel well area. This is going to be a slow and learning process as i only get an hour or so a day, if that.

A few starting pics...
imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

So i thought it would be easier for me to take it out to start with the taping and prep work. Also once i get to fiber glassing I would not want it to be smelling like fiber glass in her car.

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
2012-09-03215802.jpg

so i take it you will be fiberglassing that? Have you worked with fiberglass before? I too just started my first build a few weeks ago and have made a couple mistakes using fiberglass. the first one was trying to lay it without using a fiberglass roller.

Just these that i put in my little kids cadi power... However i fill i am more than capable of getting it done, just how long will it take im unsure because i would like to take it slow for the first time. I been looking at a lot of builds before trying this to my wife's car.

2012-08-12_18-22-14_517.jpg

So i am going to start on my wife's car with a custom enclosure in the trunk. Its a 2012 toyota corolla and i will place it in the wheel well area. This is going to be a slow and learning process as i only get an hour or so a day, if that.

A few starting pics...

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

So i thought it would be easier for me to take it out to start with the taping and prep work. Also once i get to fiber glassing I would not want it to be smelling like fiber glass in her car.

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

2012-09-03215802.jpg

You should glass the area with it in the car so the piece won't warp. If you are worried about the smell of the resin, it will smell even after you put the enclosure in th car. You can use a fan to blow the smell out while you work on it, but do it in the car because it will stop the trim from warping from the heat.

Oh one more thing, may want to think about putting some 3 mil plastic or even foil in between the tape and the carpet. Just in case the resin soaks through the tape. Check out how Steve did his kick panels in his Lex.

Good luck! I like glassing a lot, the sanding part a litlle less <_<

Don't glass in small closed rooms, the fumes are quite strong.

If you're going to cover the base with fleece:

-pull the fleece strong enough

-apply resin in 2 times: first a little coat just to harden the fleece & second coat the full monty!

This way you will have less wrinkles and thus less sanding... a lot less sanding :D

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

Oh one more thing, may want to think about putting some 3 mil plastic or even foil in between the tape and the carpet. Just in case the resin soaks through the tape. Check out how Steve did his kick panels in his Lex.

So i just thought about it warping, i looked in the trunk and if it was going to warp due to heat i believe it would have done so in the trunk as well. The whole quarter panel cover is only being held on by 4 clips, i also had it outside and the wind was blowing so the warping could have been another possibility, so i took in my barn where it is completely covered and no wind. The idea with the foil is good but the quarter panels are much smaller than the quarter panel area.

a roller isn't necessary. may be easier in some applications, but a paintbrush will get the same results

good luck on this build :)

Thats what i was thinking also... so i am using a lot of brushes... plus it would be hard to get a roller in the small curves.

Archived