Second Skin Audio

A wall question for the experts

This fall I would like to rebuild my wall but I have a couple questions about it. The plan is to do 6 18" in a ported clamshell but to get the necessary airspace I will have to build into the trunk. I need to know the pros and cons of this. My main question is, Would there be excessive port turbulence due to the enclosures shape and is there any way to counteract it? Would you recommend a different style of ported enclosure? I don't have any problem with cutting the rear deck and getting some supports welded in.

The present wall is ~19 cu. I have a big trunk that I can get a ton of cubes from. I am kinda stuck on the idea but I don't have a benchmark to compare it to. If it possible to build it I definitely want to but if the engineering problems will be too difficult I would really like someone to tell me. I am happy to admit I might be a little out of my depth. lol And telling me I am a nut for wanting to put 6 18" in a passenger car isn't a good enough reason for me not to do it. lol

Edited by TheScottishBear

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

there is no where near enough room in a car to do 6 18s. even if you give each woofer 4 cubes each your looking at 24 cubes internal, which is not inclulding the 4ish cubes of port displacement or the shell of the wall displacement.

Plus to have room to mount all 6 18s, not happening I dont think.

Dropping to 4 18s would most likely yield better results. i.e. be louder and sound better

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

That is what I wanted to hear guys. It sounded crazy but the more I thought about it; it started to sound reasonable. haha I guess it will be 4 18" this fall then. Thx for the quick responses..

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I know this may sound crazy...

you have so much cone with six 18s have you considered just going sealed? It is similar to tunnels that are not ported but they have so much fucking cone and motor force in such a small space they end up really loud and sound really good. IF you can somehow fit 60" wide in a car :blink: six 18s in a sealed horizontal clam would be different, be reliable, and sound pretty damn good.

-Drew

Edited by Noobtastic14

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

you have so much cone with six 18s have you considered just going sealed? It is similar to tunnels that are not ported but they have so much fucking cone and motor force in such a small space they end up really loud and sound really good. IF you can somehow fit 60" wide in a car :blink: six 18s in a sealed horizontal clam would be different, be reliable, and sound pretty damn good.

-Drew

showing off dem motors would be pretty nice too

Edited by Noobtastic14

you have so much cone with six 18s have you considered just going sealed? It is similar to tunnels that are not ported but they have so much fucking cone and motor force in such a small space they end up really loud and sound really good. IF you can somehow it 60" wide in a car :blink: six 18s in a sealed horizontal clam would be different, be reliable, and sound pretty damn good.

-Drew

Don't give me any ideas lol I thought about sealed but these Daytons need at least 6cu just so I can get any kind of response to 30 hz.

Edited by TheScottishBear

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

HAHAHA.

Joking right?

with six 18s you will play any freq you tell it to play.

There is no unloading under a tuning freq, just a nice smooth rolloff.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I only have 54" width and that is to the door panels. I thought a staggered setup might work though. If I removed the rear deck it would be much easier. Should I put sealed back on the table lol?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle