Air compressor and router bits suggestions

Hey all,

I am looking for suggestions on an air compressor and some router bits. I have never owned an air compressor so I have no idea what to look for as far as specs go. Same thing goes for the router. I have always just used a jig and circular saw.

I am looking for a smaller air compressor that could run a small staple and nail gun, spray small projects down with primer and glue, and maybe run a small da sander. Will only be running one tool at a time. Mainly wanting for some projects around the house and car audio projects. Wanna try to stick around 150ish for price.

As for router bits. I am just looking for the basic bits to cut speaker rings, copy patterns (a bit with the roller on one end), and rounding corners. Prices seem to be all over the place on these, so I have no idea what I should be paying. I would like to keep it to a budget, but I also want decent bits. So if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be amazing.

As for rout

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

HU: JVC KD-X50BT (Replaced Pioneer 6800 that came with it)

All stock w/ 3 working speakers. Ya!!!

Currently cleaning up someone elses mess

(In the works)

M&H: HAT Imagines

Amp: Orion 8004

Sub: Unsure

Knukonceptz Wiring

SS Deadener (on its way! yay!)

I have a 1hp, 5 gal air compressor that is good for most things, but struggles with my die grinder.. on the other hand I have a 5hp 20 gal that can run it all day.. So at least get something over 1 hp, 5 gal.

edit: also on router bits Ive used a cheap Ryobi router set that had most things I needed and there is not a huge difference in those and the bits I pay $20 a pop for.

Edited by c.director

I have a 6 gallon pancake compressor. We originally bought it to run a pneumatic nail gun and it works perfect for that use. You can go through a bunch of nails before it needs to pump back up. Its also enough for a blow gun to quickly blow away dust from a project and such. If you plan on running ANYTHING like da sander, impact guns, paint guns, grinders, ect.. then you NEED a bigger tank. I can take off maybe 4 bolts with my impact wrench before the tank needs to refill. So its kind of a hassle. It just doesn't have the volume to supply those tools.

Every tank as well as the tools will give specs on how many CFM and what pressure they require. Try to match the tank specs with the tools you plan on using.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Router bits, get you some spiral up-cut (or down-cut, however you have your router setup) bits. I've always used these CMT bits. Cutout about 1000+ speaker rings and baffles with four bits over the course of a couple years. :)

MLCS also makes some well priced quality bits.

Pattern bits, I opt for the larger 1/2" collet for better heat dissipation.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Also, anything larger than a 6 gallon tank will probably blow your $150 budget apart. Keep a mind a small tank will work, I use it for all my tools. It just needs to recharge A LOT. Like it took me probably 30 minutes to cut a few strips of 3/16 steel because the tank kept having to refill.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

another thing to look into when getting into bigger compressors is if it is household or commercial electric.dont want to get a 220 compressor and not have 220 to run it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Buy the good router bits too. Bits will last forever.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

You guys are the best thank you for the suggestions on the compressor. I will probably stick to a smaller 5 gal one since I don't want to spend more than my budget and can probably get by without running a paint gun or da. I already have a couple electric da's. Thanks for the suggestions on those bits. It's always nice to see something cheaper than what you expected to pay.

Any brands of compressor or bits to stay away from?

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

HU: JVC KD-X50BT (Replaced Pioneer 6800 that came with it)

All stock w/ 3 working speakers. Ya!!!

Currently cleaning up someone elses mess

(In the works)

M&H: HAT Imagines

Amp: Orion 8004

Sub: Unsure

Knukonceptz Wiring

SS Deadener (on its way! yay!)

There are alot of cheap compressor brands out there with mixed reviews. Most compressor failures come from cheap motors. I'm not saying they are the best, but my Husky 6 gallon compressor has held up for probably 6 or so years of use. It doesn't get a ton of use. Maybe a few times a month only when air tools are needed. I drain the tank of air and water after every use. Its also an oil-less compressor, which means there is literally no maintenance for me to perform.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

I haven't had too many compressors in my life but I have a fairly old mid 90s Campbell Hausfeld that is still clunking along... loud as hell though. I think the main thing is to stick with name brands that you actually recognize. CH, Craftsman, DeWalt, Husky, etc.

Router bits on the other hand I have more first hand experience. I stick with CMT, Frued, and Amana Tool.

MLCS makes some high quality cheaper bits that you won't cry over if they break (though I've never had one break).

And whatever you do, DON'T buy the 40-80 piece router bit sets off eBay. The $1 or so per bit price sounds good but holy smokes they are dangerous...

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png