Second Skin Audio

Response curve question.

Alright, Here are the basics first.

Car: 87 Honda Accord Hatchback

Subs: 2X Kenwood 3013ps

Amp: Kenwood 9015d

Xover 80hz

Enclosure 1.25cuft/side sealed 1"mdf with divider

Subs pointing back about 12" to 15" from back of car.

Here is the deal. below 30hz bass drops off slowly then drops off super fast below 25. Thats fine. 30hz to 65hz is pretty smooth. 65 to 80 drops off about as fast as 25 and down. So my question is, should i build a smaller sealed encloure to bring that up, build a ported enclosure, or just get some midbass speakers to cover that range and turn my LPF down to about 70hz?

if you have another idea present it. Thanks

p.s. I did test this with some test tones going in 1hz increments from 20hz to 100hz. I did find i needed to flip my subs to reverse phase (on the amp) and that helped some. Everything is wired with correct polarity. + to + and - to -

You're not going to get much response below 30 Hz on a sub like that, even in a ported box. You can build a ported tuned to mid 30s for more output across the spectrum, but I wouldn't expect anything dramatically louder.

*Edit- those subs should be able to cover frequencies up to 100-120 I'd think.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You're not going to get much response below 30 Hz on a sub like that, even in a ported box. You can build a ported tuned to mid 30s for more output across the spectrum, but I wouldn't expect anything dramatically louder.

You missed the question completely, nice try though. I'm looking for more high bass response.

Read my edit...

Also, what is spec supposed to be for sealed on those things? 1 cube sealed? If so, then yeah, drop it down from the 1.5 you have now for the right amount of air Kenwood suggested.

Edited by CleanSierra

Read my edit...

Also, what is spec supposed to be for sealed on those things? 1 cube sealed? If so, then yeah, drop it down from the 1.5 you have now for the right amount of air Kenwood suggested.

they recommend 1.0 to 1.5, so i put it in the middle.

edit.

I'm at 1.25, not 1.5.

Edited by strangeduck

You'll need a completely different enclosure, possibly a t-line, aperiodic bi-chamber or a 4th order or 6th order but not sure on how wide each one is capable of playing

I'll was bouncing the idea of a ported or slot port but i'm afraid that would compound my problem even more. I'm think my resonate freq. is around 50hz, since it plays the loudest there.

Read my edit...

With the power handling in the subs, I'd go RIGHT at 1 cubic foot to each. I'll bet it's a tighter response into the higher frequencies.

Read my edit...

With the power handling in the subs, I'd go RIGHT at 1 cubic foot to each. I'll bet it's a tighter response into the higher frequencies.

Well, thats easy enough, i can cut some mdf panels the same size as my internal W and H and tack them in the back of the box to take up space and see what it does.

Assuming you have decent speakers, those should handle 60-70Hz and above. the enclosure ranges for those subs are:

sealed box volume: 0.75-1.75 cubic feet

ported box volume: 1.5-2.5 cubic feet

In case you just want to build something different.