Sonic Electronix

Please help confirm before I waste $$

I plan on running this wire http://www.wireandsupply.com/product_p/sgx-2-fslash-0-fslash-01.htm , which size of these http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Electrical%20Supply/Tinned%20Copper%20Cable%20Lugs/00%20AWG%20Tinned%20Lug/?sck=12205831 connectors should I buy to run with the wire?

Also will a 0 gauge distribution block work with that 2/0 gauge wire, I have not been able to find a bigger block?

I will be running 250amp fuses throughout the setup. One from alt to battery, one 12" from battery to distribution block? I only want the cap to be used on the sub amp and both outputs on the block are 250amp fused, do I need to run anymore fuses in the setup?

They hurt more than help. Don't use it.

I've never used that wire, can't comment on that. But those connectors are all the same, the only difference is the size of the bolt hole in it. 3/8 is a commonly chosen size since it will fit almost anything. I like to use 5/16, personally. Just get whatever hole will match up with your bolts.

from what I understand, caps are only useful if your alternator can't keep up with the amp and you get a voltage drop. In most cases though people will just throw an extra battery in the trunk

from what I understand, caps are only useful if your alternator can't keep up with the amp and you get a voltage drop. In most cases though people will just throw an extra battery in the trunk

I recommend against the use of a capacitor, especially in an ailing electrical system. They don't hold much power, discharge almost immediately, and once that happens - it is just another draw that the alternator needs to meet.

I recommend against the use of a capacitor, especially in an ailing electrical system. They don't hold much power, discharge almost immediately, and once that happens - it is just another draw that the alternator needs to meet.

It can be very helpful to do the big 3 to your vehicle too, I just learned that. or upgrading to a hi-output alternator ofcourse

Big 3 is a minimum for an aftermarket system, even with the stock alternator. It is even more important for an aftermarket alternator.

Edit: Let me clarify a bit.

Your stock wires are only meant to handle the stock electrical load. When you put things like an aftermarket amplifier, or a bigger alternator in the car - it is more current than the engineers designed for. Guess what happens when you put too much power through too small of a wire - it heats up and becomes a fire hazard. The primary purpose of the big 3 is safety. It lowers the electrical resistance of your charging system - so you usually get a boost in voltage too. :)

Edited by SnowDrifter

I am probably the only one on this site that will say that I don't mind caps in a well balanced electrical system. Yes there is a lot of BS marketing behind them but the facts are that if your electrical system can keep up regularly with out the cap, adding the cap will reduce the peaks your electrical system will see. It will be a nice continuous draw instead of a bunch of short shots to your system. Many people just throw a bunch of batteries in there vehicle to not see the voltage drop (which is necessarily for BIG systems and those systems won't benefit from any type of cap because their draw is way too high).

I seen a third party video done (i.e. not by someone who produces or sells caps) proving the benefit of caps on audio systems it was very thorough. Can't remember where I saw it but proved the point none the less. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak for this but oh well its just my opinion.

"The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt

Only use a cap if your electrical is already up to or past par and you want to help even out your voltage spikes. A battery close to your amp would eliminate the need for a cap.

Only if your electrical is up to par and all in the front, and you want to even out the voltage drops from the wire going all the way to the back, mostly for SQ purposes, should you really use a cap.

Otherwise the cap is just an unnecessary draw adding more strain to an already strained electrical.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*