advanced ip addressing. help please

So who knows about advanced ip addressing. I just took my midterm and I didn't fare so well with a few questions. I had to figure out: the network, broadcast, and subnet mask of 10.11.12.13/28. Had it been 10.11.12.13/24 I would have been cool, I think. Anyways any responses that help me understand how to do this would be greatly appreciated

the network address is always going to be the first address and the broadcast will always be the last address so in your case the subnet would be ( dont qoute me on this its been a while since ive done it) 255.255.255.240. you network would be 10.11.12.0 and broadcast would would be 10.11.12.15

Edited by Maebros

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

The number after the slash represents the number of bits borrowed. Since ipv4 addresses are 32 bits total (8 bits per octet) you can never have more than a /30 for the number of bits borrowed as if you do then you have no way to get a broadcast and network address from it. Now if you for example receive an ip address that is setup as 10.11.12.13/16 that means that the first two octets of your ip address will NEVER change. The reason for this is that as mentioned the first 2 parts of the ip address represent 16 octets. Now that we have two full octets taken up they will remain "locked" and we cannot change it. Thus the ip address will start off as 10.11 and after that is where you start to subnet.

Subnetting is a pain in the ass trust me, ive taken CCNA 1-4 twice and i always hate doing it but tbh when you are out there in the real world most of the time people do that shit with calculators and its a done deal. There are so many different ways to subnet such as the good old binary (thats a great way to start out in my opinion) or jumping straight into understanding the slash portions of the subnet you are given to hand out.

edit: this may be helpful to understand it a bit more: http://www.aelius.com/njh/subnet_sheet.html

Edited by kickass audio

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

the network address is always going to be the first address and the broadcast will always be the last address so in your case the subnet would be ( dont qoute me on this its been a while since ive done it) 255.255.255.240. you network would be 10.11.12.0 and broadcast would would be 10.11.12.15

I believe that you are right Maebros. I thnk that those did wind up being the answers on my midterm.

The number after the slash represents the number of bits borrowed. Since ipv4 addresses are 32 bits total (8 bits per octet) you can never have more than a /30 for the number of bits borrowed as if you do then you have no way to get a broadcast and network address from it. Now if you for example receive an ip address that is setup as 10.11.12.13/16 that means that the first two octets of your ip address will NEVER change. The reason for this is that as mentioned the first 2 parts of the ip address represent 16 octets. Now that we have two full octets taken up they will remain "locked" and we cannot change it. Thus the ip address will start off as 10.11 and after that is where you start to subnet.

Subnetting is a pain in the ass trust me, ive taken CCNA 1-4 twice and i always hate doing it but tbh when you are out there in the real world most of the time people do that shit with calculators and its a done deal. There are so many different ways to subnet such as the good old binary (thats a great way to start out in my opinion) or jumping straight into understanding the slash portions of the subnet you are given to hand out.

edit: this may be helpful to understand it a bit more: http://www.aelius.co...bnet_sheet.html

I didn't think about the octets and how big a role they play. I do understand binary and I have for a long time but I think when I looked at the question I psyched myself out. I understand the slashes for the most part as long as its 8, 16, or 24. Anything else would confuse me a bit. The way that you explained it made me think and definitely helps a lot now. I'm definitely going to practice this and get prepared for my final. Its too bad we can't use the calculators in class cause I have one on my phone.

Thanks a lot fellas. This helps out a lot. I'll definitely get back to you guys if I continue to have trouble

The other guy is right for how that is but how i put it is the way you figure it out. Its a pain in the ass until you figure it out. It took me a whole month trying to learn it before it finally clicked and believe me when i say that if you dont keep doing it, you will forget it FAST. Keep practicing and you will do well.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

The other guy is right for how that is but how i put it is the way you figure it out. Its a pain in the ass until you figure it out. It took me a whole month trying to learn it before it finally clicked and believe me when i say that if you dont keep doing it, you will forget it FAST. Keep practicing and you will do well.

Thank you sir. Will do. I was thinking about switching my major to Netad or cnet and would have to take net com 3 so I will definitely be doing lots of practicing.

Just realized that different schools majors may not be labeled the same so netad is Network Administration and cnet is Computer Network Engineering

Edited by tyma1026

there are multiple methods of doing subnetting . you really just gota find the method that works the best for you.

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.