Sonic Electronix

Why is it that you can have two amps that are rated and put out the same power into a 1ohm load but when you drop them to a 2ohm load there is a big difference in power output from both amps.

I am not naming brands here because it is irrelevant.

Are there certain components that make an amp put out more power at a 2 ohm load that the other amp maybe don't have?

ohms is a measure of resistance , the lower the ohms the more potential to flow power . the difference from one amp to another is the circuits stability . the more power an amp produces usually means more heat and stress on all the components that make up an amplifier

So even though they both put out same power at 1ohm the one with better circuit design will produce a lot more power at 2ohm's ?

well no , going from 1 ohm to 2 with any amp would be like cutting your output in half , but you may see more dampening at higher ohm loads

Edited by b-dubs89

well no , going from 1 ohm to 2 with any amp would be like cutting your output in half , but you may see more dampening at higher ohm loads

ya know i guess that isn't always true , it really would depend on the specific amp , the alpine mrx-m55 for example will run 1 ohm but it makes the most power at 2 ohms

I guess I could ask then what part of the circuitry is responsible for producing the output at 1ohm or 2ohm. What make one better then the other? especially if they both put out the same power at 1ohm.

changing your ohm load from 1 to 2 does not always mean a drop of 1/2 power.

I'm curious as to how much of a difference there is, Oh and how are you running your rca's? I'm thinking if your running them to the more powerful 1 first that it's not putting out the same voltage as it's getting causing the 2nd amp to output less power. just a guess

in the old days, it was always 2x resistance = 1/2 power.

today you have companies underrating their amps at 1ohm. BUT they tell you an accurate number at 2ohm. thats the best explanation I have in my arsenal to answer your question. and ive talked to guys that have been doing this a lot longer than i have that said the same thing.

you can make an amp to do full power at 2ohm and it'll actually do less power at 1ohm. i believe thats from heat loss but im not sure.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.