Which electrical set up would work better.

Hey all, I am finally playing catch up with my little civic, I am making plans to beef up my electrical system to handle the stereo. I plan on running around 800-1000wrms at most, and was wondering which electrical system route would benefit my amps the most and help keep the voltage up.

Set up 1:

Singer 170amp HO Alt

Biggest XS battery I can fit under the hood

Big 3 upgrade

Set up 2:

Stock Alt

Biggest XS battery I can fit under the hood

2nd Battery in the trunk

Big 3 upgrade

I hope this does not come off as a vs. thread, because it is not meant to be. I just want to see what set up would be better in my situation. Are these set up's overkill for the amount of power I'm running? What are some pros and cons between the different set ups?

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

HU: JVC KD-X50BT (Replaced Pioneer 6800 that came with it)

All stock w/ 3 working speakers. Ya!!!

Currently cleaning up someone elses mess

(In the works)

M&H: HAT Imagines

Amp: Orion 8004

Sub: Unsure

Knukonceptz Wiring

SS Deadener (on its way! yay!)

Hey bud!!!... glad to see you back :drink40: ,... and working on your ride again. Did you ever get a security system figured out?.... or did you just plan on waiting?...

Anyway, here we go........ is your budget wicked tight? And, Is your 02 running the 70amp stock alty unit? I know there is some shitty PCM/ELD issues with our honda/acura's out there too...

Edited by KyLar96

Ya I'm still here. I have been busy cleaning up the civic. I ended up re-doing and really cleaning up the rat nest of the alarm install myself and had to replace my actuators. It's all good now.

My budget is tight, however, not so tight, to cut major corners and have problems from the get go. I see a lot of set ups with multiple batteries and stock alts. Looking at the motor and alt, I probably do have that little 70 amp alt. I also have the eld to deal with. I saw a write up for a bypass for it.

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

(In the works)

Knukonceptz Wiring

I'd personally go with option 1 and have the HO alt + best XS batt for under the hood. And while you're at it, does Singer offer any bigger alts for your application or was that the biggest? I know you won't need it now but just trying to save you a little for the future ;)

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I told him what I was planning to do with the alt when I asked him for the quote and that was the size alt he wrote back with. Not sure if he makes a bigger one. I know it's not the biggest out there, but from what he said, it should be a direct bolt on.

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

(In the works)

Knukonceptz Wiring

I told him what I was planning to do with the alt when I asked him for the quote and that was the size alt he wrote back with. Not sure if he makes a bigger one. I know it's not the biggest out there, but from what he said, it should be a direct bolt on.

Yeah that's the same he said for me was that that was the biggest bolt on he offered. Worth it though

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Ya I'm still here. I have been busy cleaning up the civic. I ended up re-doing and really cleaning up the rat nest of the alarm install myself and had to replace my actuators. It's all good now.

My budget is tight, however, not so tight, to cut major corners and have problems from the get go. I see a lot of set ups with multiple batteries and stock alts. Looking at the motor and alt, I probably do have that little 70 amp alt. I also have the eld to deal with. I saw a write up for a bypass for it.

Cool bro,.. :drink40: .. i am glad you got it dicked. Congrats,....

On to the question.... And this is where its all up to you... IF and i mean IF your gonna run and stay with the said 800-1000, i think you would be ok with just adding a bigger and better bank. And save some coin........................................................but,

With that said, i just have that feeling youll be back in 3 months, selling half the stuff you have now, and gunning for bigger... :morepower1: ...lol.. it is the nature of the beast man... and pretty much how 99% of the people on this site are hard wired....

And again,.... if you have the coin, Call Mike, and grab the HO alty, and add a battery of your choice in the rear. Got a Singer myself, BUT, take a look at MECHMAN as they are offering a discount on a HO alty AND battery combo... shit, thats hard to beat...

if you saw the write up on the ELD bypass, that memeber HATERGONNAHATE is one cool as hell dude,...he'll help ya out, and he wont stop until you happy and shit is working correctly... cant go wrong with that..

God damn,... did that help you at all? or just screw your head all up?

You could start with adding bank, (bigger and better up front, and one secondary) get jamming, keep a eye on your voltage, and then, go from there.....If your lacking, call mike,mechman. But, i am always up for swapping out stock shit... always...

Let us know where and what direction you go, and show some pics... cheers, and good luck man... (as always, feel free to pm me bro)

Honestly even if you are planning on staying with 800w-1000w rms or upgrading later the alternator is the better choice. The alternator will be able to easily power 1k rms with only 1 battery even if you bump at idle all day. If you decide to upgrade later you will have needed the alt anyway so you made the right decision either way.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will be going with the HO alt and single battery, hopefully in the next couple months. It just seems like the better way to go. This damn stereo addiction!!! I am starting to think it may be a good six monthes before I get some bump. First comes the wiring & secondskin, then comes the eletrical... Do it right the first time, and never have to worry about it again. Don't worry, I have been taking pics along the way so when I really get moving I can start a build thread. Thanks all, and Kylar, one of these days, I'll have to get up your way, and demo that bad ass Acura of yours.

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

(In the works)

Knukonceptz Wiring