Fiberglassing Kickpanels Help

I was fiberglassing my kickpanels and after I put the first coat on the tape I laid down, and I forgot to put some kind of release agent to be able to take it off.

Any bright ideas to take the fiberglass off of the tape? Its stuck on good.

Basshead-in-Training

As long as you also have matting in with the resin, it is strong enough to just pull the tape off. If not, then add matting, an pull the tape off. If that doesnt work, you can sand down and smoothe the backside to remove the tape!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

So on accident I bought fiberglass resin jelly and it was way different than regular resin. It didnt work as well with the fiberglass mat, or cloth, I get them mixed up. Anyway I just peeled it off, because it was pretty flexible. Now all I have to do is sand the tape off and do the rest. Thanks

Basshead-in-Training

I did the same exact thing... It took 3 days to get hard but i still used them lol.

JVC AVX-44 and 360.2

Subs: 2 RF T1 12s 1ohm mono off a RF T1500bdcp 80hz \/ in a 2.3cube 45hz slot port

Mids: 2 O2 8's off a Punch 550.2 behind seat, 2 Image Cxs 6.5's and 2 ID XS 6x9s 80-3khz in doors on a T600.2

Highs: 2 ID CD.1 MH HLCD 8ohm off a RF 400.4 3khz /\

Oh, for future reference when making molds, you can use wax or wd40, but if you hsve aluminum foil, that works really well!

I still layed tape and paper on the floor, but then layed down foil on top of that before applying matting and resin! My molds would always release easily without losing form and durability!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Even though the molds came off they did lose shape. And I'll have to make another pair later on and try this all again. You can sure learn a lot from trying something out, because everything I thought would work in my head has turned out differently.

Edit: I'll have to remember to try out the foil though.

Edited by joshywb121

Basshead-in-Training

Even though the molds came off they did lose shape. And I'll have to make another pair later on and try this all again. You can sure learn a lot from trying something out, because everything I thought would work in my head has turned out differently.

Edit: I'll have to remember to try out the foil though.

Sometimes the change of shape happens when they are not fully cured or don't contain enough layers to retain their shape. 3-5 base layers of a good chop matte in layers should have the strength. The foil works great and you don't want to make a mold and spend 15 minutes trying to remove it lol. I've been there. lol It's cool that you are trying though and it is the only way to get good. I see alot of scaredy cats on here thinking fiberglassing is something that is mystical or only done by people in hazmat suits. lol

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I agree with TheScottishBear...your layers are not thick enough when you pull your mold. I never use a mold wax only foil, the trick to strength is to lay your matting down and saturate with resin without air pockets, and sags. A good fiberglass roller is priceless, it will save on material and overall time.

Also how is you ratio of resin to MEKP?

I may not slam trunks anymore....but my trunk still slams.

I'll have to make my bases thicker then. But as far as the resin to hardener ratio, I just put whatever in, probably more than needs to be. Does that affect the actual fiberglass mold? Or just how fast it hardens?

Basshead-in-Training

I lay down tape

Spray glue then add tin foil

Hit it with regular turtle wax 3-4 times

Brush on light coat of resin

First layer of glass goes down-wet it out

Stop at 3-4 layers

Let cure over night cause I'm not usually in a rush

Pop off the mold with ease. Retains shape

Edited by Rell