table saw

Okay this may sound dumb but a 10 inch table saw will be big enough to cut out piece for say a box to hold 1 18 or even 2? I just wanted to know before I buy one of craigslist. Thank you.

The 10" just refers to the blade diameter. It should be fine, but you should also learn the proper way to use it before you try cause a table saw can be very dangerous if you don't know what your doing with it. Read up on them.

a 10 " table may be useful for cutting smaller pieces but i think what you want for larger pieces is a circular saw with a rip guide , assuming you are on a budget like many otherwise you might want something like this

4449563862_7959629bbf_m.jpg

so are rip guides better because I already have a circular saw. But the table saw was like 80 buck and a craftsman it was on craigslist

so are rip guides better because I already have a circular saw. But the table saw was like 80 buck and a craftsman it was on craigslist

Honestly a long straight edge (long level, piece of aluminum, etc.) and a couple c-clamps works just as well as a rip guide.

Table saws are very useful too though, for smaller cuts, 45's, and a few other things. So I'd still get one if you can afford it. Just make sure works well.

Edited by LZTYBRN

10" is just the blade size. You have to consider the CUTTING WIDTH of the saw...Some 10" saws cut boards up to 30" wide but most of them don't. I think mine goes up to 26" wide on the right side of blade. I usually make my larger cuts with my circular saw and then use the table saw for the smaller box cuts.

So just using my circular saw would be better? I need to go get a carpenter square then would I only need a carpenter square or do I need to buy or make a guide also to ensure they are straight?

How would a carpenter square help you make straight cuts? You need a guide too.

I've of just cutting of a length of mdf, and using that edge as a guide. Of course you'd have to do the rest of your cuts from the other end of the board.

I'm going to find a guide for my saw. I would use the square to draw out all my lines to set the cuts up right and have them planned out.

Could someone point me to a good rip guide?

Edited by SMZ2

they sell a decent 50" rip guide/panel clamp at harbor freight, but honestly, its sat in the corner while I use a long piece of aluminum L-bracket with 2 clamps on either end. its pretty much the cheapest and easiest way to make straight cuts....or you could get good at cutting right on the line like a boss

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco