How do you choose caliber and your ammo for Self Defense Carry

I have a S&W 686 .357mag that I will be carrying as soon as I get my permit.

It's very reliable, accurate, .357 packs a big punch, and I'm very comfortable with the gun.

I've got some older CCI Blazer hollowpoints and some Winchester PDX1 hollowpoints.

I'd eventually like a smaller 380 or 9mm to carry also, just undecided on what to choose.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Depends on the day. I normally carry a glock 27 chambered in 40 s&w with hornady TAP FPD. I also have gold dot and winchester bonded pdx1. The hornady is very consistent.

If I do carry my g20 in 10mm. Its loaded with hornady custom. Its very hard to find a good off the shelf personal defense ammo. There are some companies out there that will make up some wicked stuff(buffalo bore) but I think if I ended up whacking someone with a 10mm loaded extra hot Id be grilled for it.

ive tried lots of different ammos for personal defense. It needs to be accurate and reliable. The rest is on me. Im not worried about noise as they both sound like a cannon going off anyways. For those of you guys worried about overpenetration check this out.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FEPD40GRD-1.html

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Depends. I have several different weapons I like to carry, all depends on where and what Im doing along with the time of year, as clothing being worn dictates how easy it is to conceal the piece you want to carry, its much easier to lug around a full size 1911 or a 4 inch .357 in fall/winter when larger, heavier clothes/ jackets are worn. If its hot out and not wearing more than shorts and a t-shirt, things like the keltec p3at or my ultra light 38 snub disappear into a pocket or small of back rig very easy.

Ammo/ caliber selection, you can ask 100 differnt guys and get 100 different answers. I feel that as long as you are staying .380 and above, with proper "defense" style ammo, you can't really go wrong. I've never seen anyone laugh off a .380 double tap to center mass.

Weapon selection, I like guns. A lot. Owned/have owned many many guns. Biggest factor in deciding what pieces are ones I will trust my life to, boils down to shooting them a lot, knowing which I am more proficient with, and which ones work all the time. I run any possible canidate for defense through a fair amount of "testing" before I decide its good enough to save my ass if I ever need it. I am talking several hundred (500ish) rounds of bulk to check operation of weapon, then if the gun passes my scrutiny there, its on the running varied amounts of different defense ammo through it and checking group sizes and function of weapon to see what makes the gun happiest and works best for me.by the time I decide a weapon is ok to carry, it has in the neighborhood of 800 to 1000 rounds through it. And if by that time the gun has worked flawlessly, with no major malfs and hasnt shot itself loose, it goes in the rotation for defense use.

I am not brand/caliber/ style loyal. I carry what I like and what I know will go bang everytime I pull the trigger, because I have run the gun through its paces, and "broken" it in, and ran more rounds through it just to see if it passes my criteria, than some people that buy a "defense" gun will put through it in the entire time they carry it.

If you feel safe and trust your gun after 1 box of cheapo ammo, and then just grab a box of hollow points to have ready, so be it. Just not for me. I carry a piece when I need to, not because I want to. I carry it because if I need it, it had better save my ass. I carry because things go bump in the night, and IM sure as shit going to throw lead, not be stuck tap-racking and trying to clear a malf. Sometimes in my line of work, I go take things back from criminals, dope boys, convicted felons.. Just need to make sure it'll be a fair fight if things get shitty.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Hell Ya guys this is going to make for a nice paper... I have this question posted on 2 different forums so i am getting a WIDE array of answers but they will all go into formulating a general concensus of why people make the choices they do...

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Depends on the day. I normally carry a glock 27 chambered in 40 s&w with hornady TAP FPD. I also have gold dot and winchester bonded pdx1. The hornady is very consistent.

If I do carry my g20 in 10mm. Its loaded with hornady custom. Its very hard to find a good off the shelf personal defense ammo. There are some companies out there that will make up some wicked stuff(buffalo bore) but I think if I ended up whacking someone with a 10mm loaded extra hot Id be grilled for it.

ive tried lots of different ammos for personal defense. It needs to be accurate and reliable. The rest is on me. Im not worried about noise as they both sound like a cannon going off anyways. For those of you guys worried about overpenetration check this out.

http://www.cheaperth...EPD40GRD-1.html

I personally dont think it matters WHAT kind of ammo you run in a 10mm... Its going to do some major collateral internal damage... Those Guard Dog rounds are Frangible ammo rounds if i am not mistaken... What is hornady custom... I havent seen or heard of that type from them ??

Depends. I have several different weapons I like to carry, all depends on where and what Im doing along with the time of year, as clothing being worn dictates how easy it is to conceal the piece you want to carry, its much easier to lug around a full size 1911 or a 4 inch .357 in fall/winter when larger, heavier clothes/ jackets are worn. If its hot out and not wearing more than shorts and a t-shirt, things like the keltec p3at or my ultra light 38 snub disappear into a pocket or small of back rig very easy.

Ammo/ caliber selection, you can ask 100 differnt guys and get 100 different answers. I feel that as long as you are staying .380 and above, with proper "defense" style ammo, you can't really go wrong. I've never seen anyone laugh off a .380 double tap to center mass.

Weapon selection, I like guns. A lot. Owned/have owned many many guns. Biggest factor in deciding what pieces are ones I will trust my life to, boils down to shooting them a lot, knowing which I am more proficient with, and which ones work all the time. I run any possible canidate for defense through a fair amount of "testing" before I decide its good enough to save my ass if I ever need it. I am talking several hundred (500ish) rounds of bulk to check operation of weapon, then if the gun passes my scrutiny there, its on the running varied amounts of different defense ammo through it and checking group sizes and function of weapon to see what makes the gun happiest and works best for me.by the time I decide a weapon is ok to carry, it has in the neighborhood of 800 to 1000 rounds through it. And if by that time the gun has worked flawlessly, with no major malfs and hasnt shot itself loose, it goes in the rotation for defense use.

I am not brand/caliber/ style loyal. I carry what I like and what I know will go bang everytime I pull the trigger, because I have run the gun through its paces, and "broken" it in, and ran more rounds through it just to see if it passes my criteria, than some people that buy a "defense" gun will put through it in the entire time they carry it.

If you feel safe and trust your gun after 1 box of cheapo ammo, and then just grab a box of hollow points to have ready, so be it. Just not for me. I carry a piece when I need to, not because I want to. I carry it because if I need it, it had better save my ass. I carry because things go bump in the night, and IM sure as shit going to throw lead, not be stuck tap-racking and trying to clear a malf. Sometimes in my line of work, I go take things back from criminals, dope boys, convicted felons.. Just need to make sure it'll be a fair fight if things get shitty.

I am with you on testing a weapon thoroughly... I was strenuous on my 1911 because they are known to be notoriously picky eaters when it comes to HP/SD ammo... The 1st day i got my gun i ran 250 Ball Point rounds through it and it functioned flawlessly then i ran 2 boxes of my chosen SD ammo and only had 1 hiccup... Since then i have run close to 600 more ballpoint rounds and about 100 more HP rounds because i want to make sure i keep up with my skills and want to know that when push comes to shove my 1911 will feed the ammo I carry and so far out of 140 rounds it only hung up one time im pretty satisfied with that so far... I think once i get the internals polished and smoothed out it will run without a hiccup...

**BTW what do you do for work??

Edited by LT.Smoke

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

I work for a repossession company that specializes in fraud cases, straw purchases, and general troublesome cases that deal with people other companies dont want to go after. Ive taken Escalades from big time crack dealers, Helicopter from a suspected money laundering ring, Harleys from Hells Angels and Outlaws, and we get the work that other companies cant handle or say they sent some other company after whatever, and it turns out dude is violent and kicked that repo guys ass.. Thats when they call me, and I get it done. Its an interesting line of work... Im moved up the ladder and am more of a mangerial position now, but I still mount up and go after the ones that think they are bad asses and put them in their place. Ive been shot at, stabbed, jumped 6 on 1, hit with a bat.. you name it. But I always come back with my clients collateral.

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Sounds like fun... Just as interesting as me and Bounty Hunting lol... Never know what the fuck im going to get into until it happens lol... You ought to think about investing in a Bulletproof Vest if you havent already...

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sounds like fun... Just as interesting as me and Bounty Hunting lol... Never know what the fuck im going to get into until it happens lol... You ought to think about investing in a Bulletproof Vest if you havent already...

Do I sound retarded ( I hope not...lol)? One hanging on the back of my chair as I type. Its hot today and Im in the building all day... But I will admit I need to be better about keeping my plate in the front carrier. Sometimes its just to bulky and hot to to be bothered...

Bounty hunting has always caught my eye. I have all the right "tools", I do lots of skip trace work, and have the "fearless" mentality because of my current line of work. Maybe Ill come down there and visit you someday and run a few with ya! Just something entertaining about fucking up some shit bags night. Not to mention its always fun to have a little scuffle.

Edited by Bigsix

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Come on... Biz has been slow for the last few months but it should be picking up soon... I was worried about plates in mine so thats why i went ahead and ordered the upgraded vest that has the trauma pad,Bullet Plate and Stab inserts infused in the vest so i CANT take the shit out lol... Yes it does get hot but i will take being hot over getting shot without it on... Not to mention i have already had someone try to stab me while wearing it... Didnt work out for him to well... I bought the concealable combo vest so thats why i got this little gadget below

**Check this out... I bought one and its a life saver when in the vehicle.... http://www.coolcop.com/cc01.html Worth EVERY penny

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Anyone else have some input for this topic

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum