Meade How do you solder?

mine is a butane torch...and like you said, it just takes some trial and error. when i said you gotta find the right amount of heat, i said that because you can start to melt the wire jacketing, but you should feel it getting to hott before that happens...just takes practice. i think flux is only used when soldering copper together, like for plumbing.

i likes me some audio stuff...

^^^x2...if u do it that way then you really arent getting any solder down into the wire...it is more of a surface conection which will eventually break if any amount of tension is applied...trust me, i know from experience

you should do that, but only after you have sufficiently heated the wire to the point where the solder will melt when touching the wire, in order to achieve the best connection.

i also was told a tip when using ring termials that are smooth on the inner surface (such as mine)...get a thread tapper (or whatever its called) and create some threads on the inside of the terminal to give the solder something to hold on too

ehh...come to think of it, maybe we are saying the same thing...just in two different ways...idk

When I soldered my terminals, the solder kept on wicking into the wire itself then about an inch of wire was stiff in the jacket.

That happens to me when the wire itself gets too hot. Less heat on the wire more on the solder. It takes a while to get it right. I have plenty of wire around like that.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)