'79 El Camino - DD SS1a is in

It's been a little while since I've updated my log so here's a start.

I had a small oil leak from one of the bolts on my intake manifold so I replaced the gaskets; didn't get pictures cause the good ol Florida weather was pressing me for time and it's not too much to see anyway. Had a 12' piece of 0 ga CCA after doing the big 3 so I ended up grabbing a couple ring terminals so I could run a ground from the batt to where I have the amp grounded on the frame; it's way overkill for +/- 400 watts RMS but so what? I'll get pics of it when I'm installing an alarm and key-less entry tonight/tomorrow. I also got cup holders mocked up but not finished as you'll notice in a couple of the pictures.

As of the past couple weeks, I had been getting really annoyed and tired of having the switches to turn on the HU and gauge lights behind the passenger seat so I decided to relocate them. Fortunately for me, the cutout for the air vent underneath the steering column had a perfect dimension for the switches I had to snap into.

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01479.jpg

With the new location for the switches, I had to get power behind the dash. Bought some 8 ga and a terminal strip.

DSC01477.jpg

But then I had to get rid of this mess.

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01476.jpg

DSC01480.jpg

After I got the old mess out, the new one had to go in.

DSC01485.jpg

Looks much better behind the seat as well (after I vacuum of course).

DSC01489.jpg

I didn't have to look too far to find where I was going to mount the terminal strip.

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

All that was left was wiring the switches back up.

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

Aaaand... voila!

DSC01488.jpg

After having the switches there for a day, I asked myself why I ever had them where I originally put them. Anyway, that's it for today I believe.

Questions, comments, or concerns?

'79 El Camino

Skar VVX-10 in a t-line tuned to 26 Hz

Build log: Here

• 5 months later...

It's been quite a while since I've had an update on the truck and I figured now is as good of a time as ever since I'm starting a new build to bring in the new year. I bought a VVX-10 from Skar's sale on refurbished items and that should show up on Monday and today I started cutting pieces for the transmission line it will be going into after it shows up. The rest of the pieces should be cut and starting to be assembled tomorrow assuming it doesn't start to rain like it did today.

That's all I've got for today and since I don't like posting in the log without including a picture, here's one of the truck in its current state:

DSC01549_zpsaef41ddf.jpg

'79 El Camino

Made some progress on the t-line for the VVX-10 that UPS should be dropping off tomorrow afternoon. Luckily, all of my classes this semester are on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, so I'll be able to get more done tomorrow and Wednesday. Going to drill guide holes, screw, and glue tomorrow.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a finish on the box yet; I'm open to suggestions if anyone has one.

Seems like a lot of box for a 10" woofer. Dimensions are 43-7/8" x 27-7/8" x 8-1/2" with differences in a few areas.

DSC01552_zpsa5958a53.jpg

'79 El Camino

Dang ... That enclosure going in the compartment behind the seats ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Dang ... That enclosure going in the compartment behind the seats ??

Let's hope so lol. The lack of space behind the seats really limits the possibilities, but the compartment actually has a depth of 24-1/2". It's going to stick out a little bit but should still be fine with seat clearances.

I probably went through 8-10 designs before I figured out one that the numbers said would work. My eyes don't necessarily agree with the numbers.

'79 El Camino

Figured I'd throw up an update while I was taking a break to eat.

After I pre-drill guide holes on top/bottom panels, I like to dip an eyeglass screwdriver in ink to mark where the hole translates to on other pieces. It usually works out pretty well.

DSC01558_zpsef42f6f2.jpg

And the mark it leaves is like so:

DSC01559_zpsfdae1891.jpg

Just when I start to get going, UPS shows up with a package; wonder what's inside:

DSC01553_zps47d587d0.jpg

DSC01554_zps46905e7e.jpg

DSC01555_zpsf9808135.jpg

DSC01556_zps562e324b.jpg

That's it for now. I'll get back to work on the box after I'm done eating and should have another update later in the afternoon or evening.

Thanks for looking.

'79 El Camino

Im doing a Skar vvx10 in a T-line also.. Just have to assemble the sub tonight and I can install it all tomorrow. How much power are you planning on running?

Whats the tuning on the Line. Mines not as nice as yours with the rounded corners...but it came out huge with tuning in high 20's...28-29hz.

Nice car/build by the way.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Im doing a Skar vvx10 in a T-line also.. Just have to assemble the sub tonight and I can install it all tomorrow. How much power are you planning on running?

Whats the tuning on the Line. Mines not as nice as yours with the rounded corners...but it came out huge with tuning in high 20's...28-29hz.

Nice car/build by the way.

Have a build log for yours? I'm planning on giving it around 400 watts.

What did you use as the Sd for the port area?

The tuning is the Fs, so ~26 Hz. T-lines are usually always huge; doesn't make it easy to come up with a solid design when you're extremely limited on space.

Thanks. I'll have to put some pics of my '81 up when I start to do some work on it.

'79 El Camino

Archived