Sonic Electronix

How tight are you supposed to have your bolts on an aluminum buss bar? Mine are not threaded just a nut and washers. i've heard people talking about aluminum "creeping" so just curious. I don;t want to mess up anything or have it not tight enough lol

IDK about it creeping in the aluminum...especially if you are doing bolts with nut/washer method..not tapping the aluminum.. Since you are using nuts you can torque it to the proper torque for that grade/size of bolt.

http://engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque3.htm

I'm not sure what grade/size bolt you are using...but make sure the nut is the same grade also. Than I would suggest torque to these specs. or close. If you tap the aluminum it will change because you can strip the aluminum out easily. I would use Lock washers on your setup..just a suggestion.

FYI these are in inch lbs...

Edited by Chris Hammer

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Damn! lol ok I had the "fairly" tigt as I wan't sure but i'll go out and crank em down. I just thought the aluminum would slowly move out from under the bolt or some shit. Thanks for the info

Damn! lol ok I had the "fairly" tigt as I wan't sure but i'll go out and crank em down. I just thought the aluminum would slowly move out from under the bolt or some shit. Thanks for the info

You're doing bus bars as in solid stock aluminum like 3/8 1/2 inch thick right? something like that? if so than I wouldnt worry about the aluminum moving...watch the terminal ends though...its ok if they get a little flatter but you dont want to smash them so bad the bolt pushes through. All those torque specs are in inch lbs so its not a huge amount of force...but certainly enough to get a good conection.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

You're doing bus bars as in solid stock aluminum like 3/8 1/2 inch thick right? something like that? if so than I wouldnt worry about the aluminum moving...watch the terminal ends though...its ok if they get a little flatter but you dont want to smash them so bad the bolt pushes through. All those torque specs are in inch lbs so its not a huge amount of force...but certainly enough to get a good conection.

Yeah its 3/8 thick and 2 inches wide. Also I use 2/0 tinned lugs to they should be ok

Yeah its 3/8 thick and 2 inches wide. Also I use 2/0 tinned lugs to they should be ok

Oh yea dude youre golden. I would tighten to the specs listed on that sight. Or just go for it and get em nice and tight by feel...if you used any kind of quality bolt than you can crank em pretty good.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Aluminum doesn't set, it'll only stay tight for so long.. Just check it often

Huh? Would lock washers help?

I know this because my dad is a mechanic. Back when they built ALL the mobile homes and what not they used alluminum..a much cheaper method than copper. The problem was that nothing set, alluminum won't set. Lock washer would probably help, but just to be safe I'd check them every so often