Second Skin Audio

Will woofers move more when broken in?

Just wondering if woofers move more once they are broken in? I'm running 2 btl 15's on 2 3500's. and I see btls on less power moving more than mine do. Mine arent broken in much yet though. They are wired series/paralell to the 2 3500's strapped

short answer YES.

To add some info, how far a woofer moves is also dependent on your enclosure, your crossover settings, your program material, and your vehicle.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Also what coil impedance are the woofers?

I am curious as to why you have a series/parallel strapping scheme going on when it is usually a better way to go with each amp on each woofer separate.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

short answer YES.

To add some info, how far a woofer moves is also dependent on your enclosure, your crossover settings, your program material, and your vehicle.

x2 hit the nail on the head there

short answer YES.

ok. Just curious. They do move a "fair" bit but nothing close to some I have seen online. That guy with 11k on 4 of them in that crown vic had crazy excursion

EDIT: they are dual 2's

I was told to wire them like this : I dont have a cc-1 only dd-1 so running each seperate would be trickym (i also like using the remote knob so Im not sure how that would work on the crescendos)

Wire a pos from one coil to a negative of the other coil. Do that for both subs.

Wire the two remaining positives to the positive of the master amp.

Wire the two remaining negatives to the positive of the slave amp.

Connect the two ground terminals of the master amp to the two ground terminals of the slave amp.

Edited by Amart88

short answer YES.

ok. Just curious. They do move a "fair" bit but nothing close to some I have seen online. That guy with 11k on 4 of them in that crown vic had crazy excursion

I was told to wire them like this : I dont have a cc-1 only dd-1 so running each seperate would be tricky

Wire a pos from one coil to a negative of the other coil. Do that for both subs.

Connect the two ground terminals of the master amp to the two ground terminals of the slave amp.

You were told wrong.

Well not totally wrong, but not optimal.

Amps can run more efficiently and more reliably as individuals. And you do not need a CC-1. or dd-1

And when strapping amps, perfectly even gain settings are much more crucial.

Best wiring scheme for that setup is to have each woofer on its own amp. Coils of each woofer wired in parallel.

You can easily gain match those amps with a few techniques.

1. If they have a slave/master use that and you are done

2. use a voltage meter and measure the AC voltage on each speaker wire output. You can do this without the woofers connected and just make each amp read the same voltage.

3. Look at the woofers playing as you adjust gain. Play a solid tone and just adjust the gains until each woofer is moving an equal amount.

People have been gain matching for 30 years before CC-1 or dd-1 so I think you will be fine.

Edited by HHR Ed

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

short answer YES.

I was told to wire them like this : I dont have a cc-1 only dd-1 so running each seperate would be tricky

You were told wrong.

Amps can run more efficiently and more reliably as individuals. And you do not need a CC-1. or dd-1

Best wiring scheme for that setup is to have each woofer on its own amp. Coils of each woofer wired in parallel.

2. use a voltage meter and measure the AC voltage on each speaker wire output. You can do this without the woofers connected and just make each amp read the same voltage.

3. Look at the woofers playing as you adjust gain. Play a solid tone and just adjust the gains until each woofer is moving an equal amount.

People have been gain matching for 30 years before CC-1 or dd-1 so I think you will be fine.

ok, If i do them each in paralell can I use all 4 speaker outs? i hate having to jam 2 8 ga wires into one woofer terminal, it sucks. Also what do you mean by matching the gains while strapped? Theres so much to understand, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks for the help too.

short answer YES.

You were told wrong.

ok, If i do them each in paralell can I use all 4 speaker outs? i hate having to jam 2 8 ga wires into one woofer terminal, it sucks. Also what do you mean by matching the gains while strapped? Theres so much to understand, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks for the help too.

Yes you can use all speaker output terminals. Just connect each coil individually.

I meant that when you strap amps, the gain settings of each amp must be exactly equal, which is much more crucial than if they are not strapped. This was in reference to your concern about not being able to gain match the amps if they are separate.

If they are matched when strapped, they will be matched when not strapped.

And if you have master/slave then you can use that whether strapped or not and they will match themselves.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

short answer YES.

You were told wrong.

Yes you can use all speaker output terminals. Just connect each coil individually.

I meant that when you strap amps, the gain settings of each amp must be exactly equal, which is much more crucial than if they are not strapped. This was in reference to your concern about not being able to gain match the amps if they are separate.

If they are matched when strapped, they will be matched when not strapped.

And if you have master/slave then you can use that whether strapped or not and they will match themselves.

Wow I never knew that about master/slave. So if I run them speratley, do I still use that single RCA for jumping? along with the other RCA inputs. Right now while strapped, the gain on master is set correctly and the gain on slave is at 0 along with all the other settings. Do you know If I can still use the bass knob if they are seperate?

Well, generally after break in you turn your gain up. That should do it. But in answer to your question, yes, after the suspension softens up they will move more- which is why they begin to hit lower after break in.

I'm gonna hate