Second Skin Audio

PVC Ported box, how to fix the peaking?

There's no need for separate chambers, your ports are too small, your stubbornness is unwarranted, and NOBODY likes having midbass fire at the back of their head who actually likes their music to sound good. Don't mix subs, amps, or box sizes/types.

Welcome to smd

Agree with this guy^^. Why are you set on two chambers? Why are you wanting to consider fiberglass? Do you have any experience with fiberglass?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

There's no need for separate chambers, your ports are too small, your stubbornness is unwarranted, and NOBODY likes having midbass fire at the back of their head who actually likes their music to sound good. Don't mix subs, amps, or box sizes/types.

Welcome to smd

Agree with this guy^^. Why are you set on two chambers? Why are you wanting to consider fiberglass? Do you have any experience with fiberglass?

yes i have some experience with fiberglass, working on cars with my uncle.. i don't NEED 2 chambers but I do want that in case one sub blows, I still have the other to hold me off til i have more cash later. it's more of a financial issue, one of my subs blew once already and I'm glad i had two chambers because the 1 sub held me off til I could afford another.

and I didn't know that about mid-bass speakers, thanks for letting me know

Well, I have the box built now, tried out some various music on it. The response seems to curve off slow from tuning up but not bad really. I don't have the 50hz wang any more for sure. Weird thing is it doesn't seem all that much louder in the slot port but it is hitting harder i'm sure. I had my hatch rattle under control before and now it's back with a vengeance. Plus I can play the lows with way more authority now. I do need to give this box some more test time to give a better review. But a first listen it seems better. Also it's kind of cool to have all that air coming out of the port. :P.

Well, I have the box built now, tried out some various music on it. The response seems to curve off slow from tuning up but not bad really. I don't have the 50hz wang any more for sure. Weird thing is it doesn't seem all that much louder in the slot port but it is hitting harder i'm sure. I had my hatch rattle under control before and now it's back with a vengeance. Plus I can play the lows with way more authority now. I do need to give this box some more test time to give a better review. But a first listen it seems better. Also it's kind of cool to have all that air coming out of the port. :P.

that's about how my box experience went, I upgraded it from a slot ported dual chamber box @ 1.61 cu. ft. per chamber tuned @ 38hz.. the overall sound from the new box is a lot better, but it's the steep drop off from mid-bass that I just don't like, I'm wondering whether tuning higher would be enough, or if i should build a smaller box tuned the same.. :s let's see some pics of the actual box, the design looked pretty sweet

Get some jbl comps and run 300w rms on them, almost all jbl comps take power very well and sound good doing it while not breaking the bank and can pump some midbass but if your wanting to get loud then you'll likely need 2 sets to keep up with the sub bass.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

that's about how my box experience went, I upgraded it from a slot ported dual chamber box @ 1.61 cu. ft. per chamber tuned @ 38hz.. the overall sound from the new box is a lot better, but it's the steep drop off from mid-bass that I just don't like, I'm wondering whether tuning higher would be enough, or if i should build a smaller box tuned the same.. :s let's see some pics of the actual box, the design looked pretty sweet

check my build log, in my sig.

check my build log, in my sig.

looks good, i'll have to find a router to smooth the ports if i build another box