Sundown Audio

HELP!!!! Amp started smoking!!!

SkateMike519

ground is shit. move to either the frame or the rear strut tower bolt. sand paint off. make sure you have no frayed wires at the terminals on the amp

I moved the ground to the rear seat belt bolt. Still smoked after about 2 mins of being on. DMM showed it was a good ground.

I was using the first and third terminals on the amp. Should I have used the outer terminals on the amp?

Also, *IF* the subs were wired incorrectly, could this have caused the problem? I just can't imagine this error would cause it to begin smoking after only a couple minutes.

2 - Sundown Audio SA-12 D4 (Box tuned to 34 hrz)

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

2 - JL Audio C5 5 1/4 in front doors

2 - JL Audio C5 570 in rear deck

2 - JL Audio ZR100 in front pillars

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

I moved the ground to the rear seat belt bolt. Still smoked after about 2 mins of being on. DMM showed it was a good ground.

I was using the first and third terminals on the amp. Should I have used the outer terminals on the amp?

Also, *IF* the subs were wired incorrectly, could this have caused the problem? I just can't imagine this error would cause it to begin smoking after only a couple minutes.

If the subs were wired wrong it would just change the ohm impedance. and since you never actually played the amp it wont do any harm to it being at a low ohm load.

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.

If the subs were wired wrong it would just change the ohm impedance. and since you never actually played the amp it wont do any harm to it being at a low ohm load.

That is exactly what I figured.

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

Seat bolts aren't the best option really either. The amp should have gone into protect if you had wired it to TOO low of an impedance.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

The first time I turned it on, it went into protect. I turned it off, jiggled some wires on the amp, turned it back on and it didn't go into protect again after that.. That is when the smoke started.

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

what did the dmm say? 99% of the time seat belt bolts are crap. depends on where they are on the car though.

whats the impedance of the subs at the amp terminals?

what did the dmm say? 99% of the time seat belt bolts are crap. depends on where they are on the car though.

whats the impedance of the subs at the amp terminals?

According to his sig im trying to figure out how impedance could be TOO low with dual 4s.... lol

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.

Archived