Second Skin Audio

Help me design a box for 3 SA-8s please?

Hey guys I recently purchased 3 Sundown SA-8 V2s, and need to build a box for them. Only problem is, I've never built a box before... I'm extremely motivated to learn but I need you guys' help to help me make the design.

Box specs for the subs are

.5 to .75 cubic feet per woofer

.1 cubic foot of dispacement per woofer

tuned to 30-35 hertz

My specs for the box are really broad. I'm going to be porting them. I have plenty of space in the back of my Jeep. My max dimensions are 42" length x 22" width x 18" height. I would like for the box to stretch across all 42" of the back. I plugged in numbers and 3 subs at .75 cubic feet apiece are 2.25 cubes. A box that is 42" x 10" x 9" is 2.19 cubic feet so I got it pretty close to that, but I have no idea how to do a port. I'm not sure where in the 30-35 hertz range to port it, and have no idea how to design/calculate the port. If anyone with any box building experience could please help me I would greatly appreciate it!

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Thanks John your design looks great its actually pretty much exactly what I wanted to do I just couldn't figure out how to make the port. I just have one question, how big are the pieces for the port? I'm trying to make my cut sheet and with your dimensions I have gotten all the pieces expect these three...

3sa3v2.png

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

The internal depth at the port section less the port width 10.5 - 2.25 = 8.25", if you have a little more depth a simple L port design will be far easier to do though, the port being made with two pieces of wood only.

Edited by Joe X

The internal width less the port width 10.5 - 2.25 = 8.25", if you have a little more depth a simple L port design will be far easier to do though, the port being made with two pieces of wood only.

Hah thanks man...that should have been easy for me to figure out...guess not though, lol. But I think I'll stick to this design to keep as much cargo space as I can.

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

OK so for my cut sheet I came up with this...

All the pieces being cut from 4' x 8' 3/4" MDF

Cutsheet.png

CutsheetLabels.png

CutsheetDimension-1.png

Edited by 2K XJ

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

1/16" off 1 1/8" out 1 19/32" width of each cnr of the port

And 1" off 2 1/16" out 2 59/64" width in the sub area

I'm sorry but I don't really understand what that means... could you put it in more simple terms or something? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob to box building...

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Sorry thought you ment the 45's

Was typing and driving on way to work

The port pieces are 12" high x 8.25" long and rounded on one end

The 45's 12h x 1 19/32 wide with 45 going in

And 12h x 2 59/64 wide with 45 going in

Edited by john253a