Second Skin Audio

Fi Q 12 with all the goodies, need box help

I have been doing some work with Google sketch-up here and there but I know there a lot of tools I could be using that I don't know how to access. I was hoping maybe somebody might have a good enclosure build for a 12" sub relatively close to the Fi Q 12. Fi's website says this sub likes to be in roughly 1.8 cuft-2.5 @ 28-Hz. I know the power that the sub gets is an important factor into making the box but I don't understand why? I made one for my friend who has the exact same sub at 1.8 cu ft NET ported and just put a little massive audio N2 amp to test it out since its all we had. The amp RMS's at 800 watts and I could feel the dust cap already getting a little warm, isn't this thing supposed to be able to handle like 2000 RMS? I was gonna slap in my JL 1000/1 but have been have trouble tuning that thing in itself, and since the massive audio amp was making the sub warm, i figured it might be a bad idea.

I feel like this sub should be delivering more than what I am hearing from my friends system he has in now, so maybe a differant box is needed? or a better amp? The max dimensions I am working with could be of 2 different boxes. First in a 10 depth x 20 height or width, x 30 height or width. Or second in a 16.5 height x 14 depth x 24 width. ANY type of box that you think may be preferable for this sub will be good advice and if you need to know any more information I will give. Your help is much appreciated! thanks.

I did this for a previous request just posted for you to see:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33 Hz

Vb = 2 ft^3

External Height = 14 in

External Width = 30 in

External Depth = 16 in

Port Width = 2 3/8 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 30 x 14

Left & Right Sides = 13 3/4 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 30 x 13 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 11 3/8 x 12 1/2

Extension = 14 x 12 1/2

AA15.jpg

However if you are experiencing overheating you should check for clipping on your amp which can be caused by a number of reasons being the usual low input voltage to the amp, also you should engage the amplifier's subsonic filter and set it to around 25Hz. and bear in mind that some mild heating can be normal.

Dust cap will get warm with 800 watts. If it is getting REALLY hot or you smell glue melting, you are clipping that little 800 watt amp.

The Q is rated 1500. Will it handle more? That will depend on the box design and type of material you are playing.

My wife's car has a 12" Q on a Massive N2. Sealed box - been working great for a couple of years now.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

High Q. 1 cuft sealed with 12 oz of polyfill.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

the high q is for recommended for a sealed box if you want a ported box dont get this option

and how do you figure just cause you got a burger with the lot it will take 2000rms,

the box will play a big part of this not just the sub,

myself, ive put this in 2.75net at 1100rms (as you can get a good amp cheap in this rms range) as a standard none optioned sub, and loved the way it played

Edited by john253a