Second Skin Audio

Best ported box design for Two Rockford P3 12's?

Hey guys, im new to building box's so i was wondering if i could get a few tips since im building one for my accord.

Im pretty much looking to get as much flex as possible with regular / slowed music, not necessarily spl. Would be nice if i could have both really good highs and lows though ;)

I have Two Rockford Fosgate P3 12's and a Soundstream 1050 Amp. My box i have now is just completely blown apart where the screws held the subs on, and most of the edges on the box leak air too so i figured i would try and build my own box. I have a friend of a friend that will build one but i just dont have an extra $100 plus supplies for him to do it.

I already have a big sheet of 3/4 mdf, wood screws, jig saw, tablesaw, liquid nails, and i can use the terminals from my old box or just buy new ones.

Should i get fiberglass too and make the inner edges rounded, cut some 45's for the corners, or just leave them squared off?

I was told to use this for cutting out the proper sizes, but i have NO clue what to put in the first place.

Im also not sure on how to tune them to a certain hz or how that even works, so if you could briefly clear that up for me that would be great.

And this box needs to fit in my 1995 Honda Accord LX trunk. I would like to have it so i can take it in and out if needed (not build it inside the trunk). And ill be making a separate amp rack not attached to the box, but i can figure that out myself.

If you have any designs / blueprints (not sure what to call them), just post them here.

Thanks a lot.

You nees to list some meserments,

Max height, width and deepth

+ trunk opening dimensions and distance from opening to side restrictions (so box can go in on an angle if required)

Also if you want Flex in car and not just trunk you need to face them to front

Best bet is prob 2 big boxes wedges under rear shelf, so you can take them in and out easy

I've done boxes like this before and mounted amp to box and used Anderson plugs on the power and rem wire, works a treat, in and out in under 5 minutes

Here is a suggestion, review the external dims fit your car and if the box can get inside once built:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34.5 Hz

Vb = 3.2 ft^3

External Height = 14 in

External Width = 37 in

External Depth = 18 in

Port Width = 3 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 16 1/2 x 12 1/2

2x Front Internal = 15 x 12 1/2

Back = 37 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 16 1/2 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 37 x 18

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 14 7/8 x 12 1/2

2 x Extension = 3 3/16 x 12 1/2

SharedSFPF.jpg

If you need different dims/tuning let me know. Also if you intend to use way above/below rated power let me know.

Also if you want Flex in car and not just trunk you need to face them to front

Best bet is prob 2 big boxes wedges under rear shelf, so you can take them in and out easy

Theres not much space for the subs to face forward, im posting pics with dimensions so you can see.

And what did you mean by the second part...? Im lost. lol

Here is a suggestion, review the external dims fit your car and if the box can get inside once built:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34.5 Hz

Vb = 3.2 ft^3

Port Width = 3 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 16 1/2 x 12 1/2

2x Front Internal = 15 x 12 1/2

Back = 37 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 16 1/2 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 37 x 18

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 14 7/8 x 12 1/2

2 x Extension = 3 3/16 x 12 1/2

SharedSFPF.jpg

If you need different dims/tuning let me know. Also if you intend to use way above/below rated power let me know.

Did you do this yourself for these subs or did you just find it online? Just curious because it looks nice. Im putting the trunk specs below.

All suggestions I post are specific to the request, in your case I am warning about the external dimensions since you didn't provide max dimensions. The dimensions I chose are usually compatible with trunk vehicles.

Hey guys, im new to building box's so i was wondering if i could get a few tips since im building one for my accord.

Im pretty much looking to get as much flex as possible with regular / slowed music......

NO

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

All suggestions I post are specific to the request, in your case I am warning about the external dimensions since you didn't provide max dimensions. The dimensions I chose are usually compatible with trunk vehicles.

Im posting the pics with specs now, took me a little longer since i just made a diagram in photoshop for you guys.

Im pretty much looking to get as much flex as possible with regular / slowed music......

NO

YES. I love flex and clean lows. Everything isnt about spl. =P

I forgot to put this in the pic. But there are 3 different widths of my trunk if you look closely (its not just a box trunk), the first section shows 19" in the pic, the middle section is 43", and the very back is 53". I could make a trapezoid shaped box if that is even possible or would sound better since there is more box area. Just a suggestion, not even sure if that would sound good.

5Z9Ej.jpg

Im not sure, but i might be able to cut off the slanted parts so it is more open if needed. Not sure if that would mess up anything with the structure of the car, its just a little bit of thin metal, and all it holds on is the plasic that is covering it, the top piece with the latch can hold the seat up.

MzHbZ.jpg

This is my old box, it just barely fit through the trunk opening, 16" high is the most that will fit through the trunk. 31" wide is probably the most too.

But if i build the box inside of the trunk (i wont be taking it out anytime soon anyway), then i could fit more. You can look at the trunk specs to see exactly what will fit.

i1Xng.png

Also, im taking out the bottom part of the trunk and replacing it with a sheet or 2 of plywood since its all warped. The box can be mounted to that if needed.

Can't see any of your pics.

I see them just fine...

Try this -

http://i.imgur.com/5Z9Ej.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MzHbZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i1Xng.png

the box you posted above will fit by the way. but would that be the best design i could make with just mdf? i dont have fiberglass right now and id rather not have to actually mold with it since ive never used it before.

I dont see any specs on the corner pieces either for the box you posted.

Archived