damn honda is about to go swimmin with the fishes

1994 honda accord ex, non vtech

alright fellas i need your help on this one. ive been stuck for about 2-3 weeks on this one. it all started after a simple clutch job. no big deal right?, wrong. after everything was back in and put back together, i had this weird electrical problem. here is what happens. the car will start up and run just fine for about ten minutes, then all of a sudden the tachometer will quit working, and all electronics will start to fade off. the car will start running like complete crap until it completely dies. then i have to charge the battery back up and begin the process over again. during his process i can hook my dvom up to the battery and literaly watch the voltage drop. by this point you are saying simply replace the alternator. right?, wrong. i pulled the alternator off and had it checked, came back good, had the battery checked, came back good. i replaced the battery anyway because it was 5 years old, and time for a new one anyway. so now you are proably saying its gotta be the ELD, thats what i thought, so i replaced it, i was wrong. same issue. i even bypassed the ELD, and still nothing, which leads me back to the alternator. i said fuck it and replaced the alternator along with the belts. and yet i am still having the same issue. i did a paricidic draw test on it, and came up with nothing. it was only pulling a tiny ammount of current something like an eigth of an amp. ive gone over all the wiring about 5 times with schematics, and everything checks out exactly where it should be. im at a loss with this one, especially since it didnt have any of these problems before i did the clutch, which doesnt make any since, i only pulled maybe 4-6 connectors apart, and i am 1000% sure they all made it back where they are supposed to go. the only thing that hasnt made its way back yet is the speed sensor, since i need a new one, but that wasnt there when i bought the car, and i didnt have any issues with the car before the clutch job. any ideas?

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

pinched wire inbetween the block and tranny

not likely. ive gone over the wiring under the hood at least 5 times. and i dont recall seeing anything like that. ill check again in the morning, but i highly doubt there would be a pinched wire

© crispy_chick3n inc

Might be a ground came off between the block and the body of the car. Try connecting a piece of wire between the block and the body/negative post of the battery.

Edit: Check the positive line on the alternator also, fusible link might have gone out on it.

Edited by Blue

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Do you have a clamp meter? If so, see how much current is being drawn with the car on, and all accessories off.

i think i have an old sun vat-40 chillin in the barn somewhere, i might have to dig it out tomorrow.... hopefuly it still works, and hopefuly i can remember how to work the thing. my mac tools rep wont get back with me to get my amp clamp replaced. damn car tires runnin over shit.

Might be a ground came off between the block and the body of the car. Try connecting a piece of wire between the block and the body/negative post of the battery.

Edit: Check the positive line on the alternator also, fusible link might have gone out on it.

ive checked the charging wire. it has continuity

Edited by crispy_chick3n

© crispy_chick3n inc

But it's not charging the battery, check to make sure the ground strap is still good.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

i was going to get a video walkthrough, and a video of how it slowly dies tonite, but my phone died before i had the chance. ill get one for you fellas tomorrow.

edit: i tried grounding the block and got nothing. i looked up the TSB's and one stuck out to me. it said to check the alternator ground, which is the mounting bracket, i checked it and it is grounding out like it should. i even tried running a wire from the negative side of the battery to the alternator mounting bracket, and then to the alternator case. i got absolutely nothing. im going to get in contact with honda tomorrow and see if i could get some copies of the schematics that they have, and go over the cars electrical once again. im only hoping that the schematics on mitchell have a mistake, otherwise there will very likely be a video of me pushing this car into the lake. seriously, im that pissed off at it.

Edited by crispy_chick3n

© crispy_chick3n inc

I'm not terribly familiar with hondas, but I imagine you probably had to remove the air intake to get at the top of the tranny right? Check the Mass air flow sensor in it, and look for cracks in the intake. A bad MAF can cause the ECU to go nuts, which most definitely can cause these kinds of issues, especially if it regulates voltage.. Also, check your plugs and wires, a spark plug that got shorted to itself will cause all kinds of mayhem.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't buy hondas lol

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, (2) Rockford Fosgate T400-4, (4) Rockford Fosgate T1652-S Component Sets, (1) Rockford Fosgate T1500-1BDCP, (1) Rockford Fosgate T2D415 in a ported box (5.5cu. ft. tuned @ 37Hz), (1) Optima Yellow Top under hood, (1) Shuriken 80 amp batt in the back, 2 runs 0 AWG OFC Rockford Fosgate wire, Big 3 upgrade on front and back battery, Stock Altenator (90 amps), RF RCA's, Kicker 12AWG OFC speaker wire, Stinger roadkill sound deadner all over the inside of the car