Wave Guides - anyone remember those???

I was going to say Image dynamics also yes they are still in production at least they were 5 years ago I had some at the shop I worked at

Team Big Un,Team DB Drive, Team DB Driven, Team Xs Power

Team Ohio Gen, Usaci 2-4 modified champ 5 years in a row

I know Image Dynamics made them ... are they still in business ??

Right,... i also remember I.D, and a couple others making them.... and hell bro, i have no idea if ANYONE is still making them. The place i found these at didnt know what they even were, and when i started to tell em, i got the "empty eye, dead end stare" look.........

I might just dig up some of my old ZINES and revisit....... and also show the wife WHY THE HELL we keep them around... :lildevil:

Yup I remember them from CA&E back in the 90's.

Saw a set on eBay a while back and almost got em but I doubt they'll fit my dash.

Richard Clark used them in his award winning Buick so they must be good.

I hear you, and from what im getting back today from some others with the know, placement is hella key. With that, im wondering if any more "modern" dashes can fit them. Maybe a reason they headed out...?????

Edited by KyLar96

Usd was setting records in the 80s 90s.. there was a thunderbird with a set of waveguides a pair of midbass 10s and a pair of 15subs on a aperiodic membrane setting records for dominating the show circuit..all powered by alpine amps...some of there wave guides were 2500dollars..awesome products for the time and awesome sq drivers

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Usd was setting records in the 80s 90s.. there was a thunderbird with a set of waveguides a pair of midbass 10s and a pair of 15subs on a aperiodic membrane setting records for dominating the show circuit..all powered by alpine amps...some of there wave guides were 2500dollars..awesome products for the time and awesome sq drivers

Yep,

I do remember thinking at the time " my truck doesnt even cost as much as 1 of those"??? ....I also do remember that any, any car that was winning at that time, was using them. Thats why my interest was sparked when i ran into this decent looking set. I remember seeing they were fairly full range, and crazy efficient.

I also remember seeing some very cool dash installs to accommodate the guides. You have any idea as why they died (so to speak) out ??

Edited by KyLar96

Damn,... Thanks for the great info,.. (Christ, those are huge!!)

Hey bear, I may hit you with a pm if that's cool...

I chatted with one of my "go to's" on the site,.. And where the option is there, placement (which seems to be key) and some tuning has me probably just picking up another component set in the future. I just came across these, they look in great condition and my head wondered back to the day....

You also don't see or hear of much, which, I like to do things a little off,so it was appealing.

Appreciate the info ..

You can hit me up and I can try to answer any questions that you have. I have a horn tuning treatise if you want I can pm that to you if and when you get a pair. People talk about how they are difficult to tune and need 1/2 to 1/3 octave eq's as they have a couple nasty peaks in the vocal region (2,4,and 6k being the worst offenders) and drop off around 16k. My passenger side midbass is wired out of phase as is the drivers horn. It seemed to bring the stage up almost to eye level despite their locations under the dash. The eq part is mostly true but I only have a 7 band at the moment and I think they sound really great. There is a big benefit only having 4 speakers in your frontstage as well and they are so efficient that they get quite loud on 30 watts due to the sensitivity. 111db1W1M There is also the fact you have no xover point in the vocal region which is critical. I have mine x-over at 1.2k @24db/octave.

I'm not sure why they fell out of favor. Maybe it's because most people now just want plug and play and there isn't anything wrong with that...I guess. Cost is another factor. As I mentioned above you're already in it 500 bux before you do any fabrication, dsp, etc.

I know Image Dynamics made them ... are they still in business ??

As far as I know they are out of business. I got my lenses from Woofersetc.com after doing some research and talking with Eric Stevens (owner of Image Dynamics and designer of the horns) He is on DIYMA. I am considered a heretic (Not by Eric, but others) due to my integration of the horns in an spl configuration. When you think about it though it's the natural evolution of the horns, due to their efficiency and dynamics. I wish I could come down that way I could give you a demo like we talked about before but it would be a mission from the Chicago burbs' lol.

Edited by TheScottishBear

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Damn,.. That's awesome, and thanks. I wish some one around here had some I could hear. Hell, there's probably only a hand full of us that even get in to car audio at all, let alone runnin some WG's. Again, I appreciate the info man. I'll send a Pm later in a bit. I'd like to hear some tricks of the trade with tuning.

I'd love to hear a good set of waveguides again ... I think the last set I heard was back in 97ish ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

But you HAVE heard some?... This pair was the first I have ever even seen with my own two eyes, let alone heard.....again, Salt Lake City, Utah is more known as the state you can have 18 wives. Not car audio heaven.

Now, thinkin back that far, and also knowin the huge improvements in components and X-overs these days.... What can you add???

Waveguides (that I heared) sounded great ... but required ALOT of EQ ... those cars had someting along the lines of 32 band EQs for each guide ...

I would run wave guides (not in my SQ truck, but another SQ ride) if they still made them and could afford them ...

Back then, there was no such thing as processing and time alignment ... In a Sound Quality realm, there is no telling what those things are capable of with todays technology ... and yes, I do believe they were ahead of their times ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch