attached garage/work shops

so I am looking at houses.....

I want a detached shop or garage (what ever you want to call it) ... here is the issue

most the houses I look at have attached garages .... detached adds a ton to the price.. If I get a house with a attached garage.. I will buld a detached a few years down the road... i have never had a attached garage ... mine is detached now just to small

what is the dust and fumes like in the house ?

anyone work in a bylevel type garage (like this) ?

Modern%20Bi-Level%201.jpg

I work in my basement all the time. Fiberglassing is a no go. My wife almost shot me. Sawdust wise can be managed semi easily with a dust collector or the ghetto shopvac method. I sectioned off a part of my basement to cut in. I do try to cut as much as possible outside though. Ive been looking into a small tin storage shed recently so i can get all my shit out of the basement and possibly finish it though.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I work in my attached garage everyday. I live near the beach so if fumes from glassing get inside I open the windowns in the house and the breeze usually takes the smell away. Mainly I keep the garage door closed bc it opens right to the kitchen. It's not a big deal I think that saw dust is the worse one tho bc if that door is left open while I'm sanding and cutting mdf that shit does get everywhere inside the house. Bottom line just close the door

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

thanks for the replys

what sucks is i looked at a house with my realtor on wed last week.... it was perfect... big detached garage (with a room built in for painting/glassing/cutting)... on 1.5 ac of land

I was ready to put an offer in the next day (I am pre approved for a morgage for a lot more then the asking)... then my realtor called me and said that paper work was signed the day I looked at it .... MOTHER F$%KER !!!!!

I have been looking for 5 years !!! that house was picked out of the 105 houses that my reator sent to me !!!!

I am just not sure of the noise also with the attached garage (I have kids) ... I will normally work late at night on projects

grrrrrrr !!! so frustrating !!!

it all really depends on the quality of work and craftsmenship that went to the building . crappy work = drafts , leaks and such . i do some wood work in my basement and use a box fan with a furnace filter to get the airborn dust , and use a vacuum to collect from the tool , the router really puts the dust in the air even with a vac . i too tried fiberglass in my basement and it didn't go well .i think in garage with big overhead doors open you shouldn't have really any problems .

expanding foam can be good for sealing air gaps . but really ventilation is probably key

i like the the thought of attached garage for securely storing my tools , but i can see the drawbacks of being attached as well .

maybe look for something cheaper without a garage and see if you can't use some of your loan to build . i think for the money i would rather build a garage , i know what i want for shop

My garage is detached. I like it because I can go out there at night and use power tools without getting yelled at. It can get hot in there however. I am also a very messy worker. I will take out tools as I go but never put them away so they get spread across the floor. Also don't have to worry about stinking up the house with fiberglass or bondo.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

it all really depends on the quality of work and craftsmenship that went to the building . crappy work = drafts , leaks and such . i do some wood work in my basement and use a box fan with a furnace filter to get the airborn dust , and use a vacuum to collect from the tool , the router really puts the dust in the air even with a vac . i too tried fiberglass in my basement and it didn't go well .i think in garage with big overhead doors open you shouldn't have really any problems .

expanding foam can be good for sealing air gaps . but really ventilation is probably key

i like the the thought of attached garage for securely storing my tools , but i can see the drawbacks of being attached as well .

the houses I am looking at securty shouldnt be an issue road distance plays a key part ... no grab and go type theft ... my garage now is locked like a safe... all the windows are blocked with shelfing or cabinets... there is apadlock bolted on the man door... there are 9 motion lights .... some one could try and steal my stuff... but my bed is about 30 ft away ... they better be quick LOL

garage doors are usually fireproof so they are heavy and seal off noise pretty well.

but being as your name is CLEANFREAK you prob want a detatched garage hahaha

I like to keep my cars clean I also detail cars ... I cant stand them dirty (OCD THING)

i will end up building a shop at a house if I do buy attached ...... thinking 40ft x 50 ft :) but it would not happen for a few years

My garage is detached. I like it because I can go out there at night and use power tools without getting yelled at. It can get hot in there however. I am also a very messy worker. I will take out tools as I go but never put them away so they get spread across the floor. Also don't have to worry about stinking up the house with fiberglass or bondo.

my thoughts exactly ^^^^^

right now I have a work shop and thats in ... cars stay out side and get worked on out side.... building of stuff is done in the garage ..... I want to change that... I cant stand being affected by the weather the way I am now

thats the reality for those who actually build and work on things , by the time you get your tools , bench and other equipment in there isn't much room left for anything else , it actually kind of pisses me off the way most garages are built

Archived