Second Skin Audio

Ported Box SQ tuning

i had an older 15w0 and it was pretty impressive all in all , ran it off an alpine mrp-m500 amp . i think the next time i start looking to buy some different gear i might check out sundowns subs . the fact that a 15 inch sundown can be picked up for 130 new has caught my attention . have wanted to check out FI also , but i don't know if i will be able to swing the power requirements for a big fi sub , wattage be spendy like it is .

i just don't know if the single t1 sub is the way to go ether , i had a t1 15 and i think it was half blown when i got it , i wasn't really impressed for what that sub retailed for . it smashed the low end pretty good but not much else , reminded me of an alpine type r sub which i also didn't care for .

if you are looking to go cheap and have a big sound i would look at 15's , find the right sub and you might only need 1 . and 15's can sound alright .

Aperiodic enclosures ... very difficult, but effective if done correctly...

Can't you also wrap the back of a driver with the membrane? Swear I've heard you can use it somehow with subs/6x9s in the rear deck to some effect.

I'm gonna hate

quick question, I'm having problems locating a place in my doors or rear deck to install some midbass drivers, 6 1/2"s, how bad of a idea would it be to put like.. 8 midbass drivers in the back of my sub box in a seperated section facing towards the driver, behind the back seat? would this cancel the midbass completely?

quick question, I'm having problems locating a place in my doors or rear deck to install some midbass drivers, 6 1/2"s, how bad of a idea would it be to put like.. 8 midbass drivers in the back of my sub box in a seperated section facing towards the driver, behind the back seat? would this cancel the midbass completely?

It would not sound as good and just be an odd solution in general that would surely create new issues. Bust out some fiberglass and get a build log going, sounds like it's time to glass some door panels or kicks!

I'm gonna hate

Dropping the tuning with a ported box definitely sounds better, in my experience. You get rid of that annoying ~50hz peak of a higher tuned box, and also get the group delay peak further away from the kickdrum. I have my sub(oriignal 10" AA Assassin with TC2+ motor) in 1.5ft^3 at 28hz, and it sounds great. It can also play vocals, if needed. :D

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

you COULD but you shouldn't. Glass them bitches in there and start a build log like 8ight said. If you do what you're talking about you're going to get tons of phasing issues and its going to sound all sorts of wrong....

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

It would not sound as good and just be an odd solution in general that would surely create new issues. Bust out some fiberglass and get a build log going, sounds like it's time to glass some door panels or kicks!

you COULD but you shouldn't. Glass them bitches in there and start a build log like 8ight said. If you do what you're talking about you're going to get tons of phasing issues and its going to sound all sorts of wrong....

thanks guys I figured that but I wanted to ask anyway, I guess there's no easier solution other than fiberglassin em in w/ a box, my door panes are bitches lol. thanks again.

Dropping the tuning with a ported box definitely sounds better, in my experience. You get rid of that annoying ~50hz peak of a higher tuned box, and also get the group delay peak further away from the kickdrum. I have my sub(oriignal 10" AA Assassin with TC2+ motor) in 1.5ft^3 at 28hz, and it sounds great. It can also play vocals, if needed. :D

this is exactly what I was getting at ^, i thought it might flatten out the sound and take away a lot of the peaking which annoys me so, I really think I'm going with a low tuned box for the hell of it. If it proves to be distasteful I can always build another, MDF isn't that expensive. thanks everyone.

Hmm, since you wanna tune low, try tuning at the FS, which is 27hz for the wx 12, and see how that works out for you.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Archived