Second Skin Audio

Ported Box SQ tuning

Ordering 2 JL Audio WXv2 12's, gonna go with recommended box size, but I want to tune the box for pure SQ, I'm not worried about losing SPL I just want it to sound good across the board, get it sounding as close to sealed box sq as possible while still being louder than sealed. How low should I tune, around 20hz? Trying for a flat as possible freq. response from 30-80hz

Possible box design would be around 12" H x 26" W x 26" D, 3/4" MDF, 1.75~1.8 cu.ft. (subs being on top, L port on the bottom of the rear side)

thanks~

sealed will be flattest for what you're going to fit in a vehicle. Otherwise, loud n low. My mac won't run BBP6 or WinISD, so i can't tell you how big and how low, but your best bet is probably sealed if you want SQ. I can run the numbers at home, but that won't be for about 10 hours from now, and I'm sure you'll get a reply that will have that for you before i can get to it.

but if you want it to be SQ, just stay sealed.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

sealed will be flattest for what you're going to fit in a vehicle. Otherwise, loud n low. My mac won't run BBP6 or WinISD, so i can't tell you how big and how low, but your best bet is probably sealed if you want SQ. I can run the numbers at home, but that won't be for about 10 hours from now, and I'm sure you'll get a reply that will have that for you before i can get to it.

I'll be considering it, maybe I'll build a sealed box as well to see the notable difference, thanks

Mine is at 22 htz ... Love it !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'll be considering it, maybe I'll build a sealed box as well to see the notable difference, thanks

i ran sealed at first, but then i went big and low tuning ported, and i LOVE IT

Mine is at 22 htz ... Love it !!!

I wish i had the room in my trunk to tune that low. But the drivers i have don't want tuning that low, and i don't have the room for it, but they sound nice where they are, which i THINK is at 34Hz after driver displacement.

ALSO: OP, mine will play all the way up there, it does best (on the meter) between 40-60 I'm assuming (sounds the loudest SPL wise)...but it hits really nice down low....34Hz is pretty good, but if you want flat for the whole freq range, its going to be a large low box and you'll most likely have to watch how much power you feed it...

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

If your looking for SQ, tuning your box in the low 20's isn't a solid idea. SQ and Decaf don't exactly go together. :nea:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

does box size effect the 60-80hz range in a ported box? I had 2 kenwood w3013ps subs, in a 1.61 per chamber cu.ft. box tuned at 34hz, hit 60-80 no problem but had weak lows, built a box 2 cu.ft per chamber tuned at 30hz, lost any bass above 60hz, but really banged the lows. wasn't sure if it was my small port area or the increase in box size that trashed the midbass in that box, the ports were only 3" pvc pipes so i think they might have choked the subs a bit

what i might do is throw some midbass drivers on the rear deck of my car in a thin box and build a 30hz tuned slightly oversized box again to get the lows nicely, but i'm really worried about the transition from the low bass in the subs, to the midbass in the other drivers (I listen to a lot of music w/ bass @ 34-40 transitioning to 80hz+)

perhaps you can see my dilemma here..

does box size effect the 60-80hz range in a ported box? I had 2 kenwood w3013ps subs, in a 1.61 per chamber cu.ft. box tuned at 34hz, hit 60-80 no problem but had weak lows, built a box 2 cu.ft per chamber tuned at 30hz, lost any bass above 60hz, but really banged the lows. wasn't sure if it was my small port area or the increase in box size that trashed the midbass in that box, the ports were only 3" pvc pipes so i think they might have choked the subs a bit

what i might do is throw some midbass drivers on the rear deck of my car in a thin box and build a 30hz tuned slightly oversized box again to get the lows nicely, but i'm really worried about the transition from the low bass in the subs, to the midbass in the other drivers (I listen to a lot of music w/ bass @ 34-40 transitioning to 80hz+)

perhaps you can see my dilemma here..

how much room do you have, a proper 4th order will do what you want i think. But you need to have the room, and i don't have much experience with 4th orders personally, but what ive heard, if done right, a 4th order will hit it all (if you got the right design and driver). I have my subs in a 3.8cube box at 34Hz, they hit low, play loud (sometimes loud to the ears isn't loud to the meter remember), get nice and up there, and my front stage is actively crossed at the HU. My subs play up to 80Hz then have a really steep filter. And my mids in my doors play down to 80Hz with i wanna say a 12 dB/oct, yes, there is a noticeable difference when it goes from my subs to my mids, but its tolerable. It sounds good still, i can say that much. But a sealed box will play flattest (most of the time) and take up the least space, and if you're going for SQ, you need to make sure you have enough for you mids/highs to match the lows. Or cut back on the lows so it blends well with the mids and highs. I prefer SQL to SQ personally.

Archived