C1500 build. DC 9.0K, dual singer 350a, air suspension and Fi audio

this is his brother here posting...

the 6 link set up is nice, and awesome for ride quality... BUT i had issues with the dog bones that link the cantilever set up to the rear axle and had to stretch them so that it would work. i told the guys at KP about the truck and they just said run a larger bag to help with the weight and ill be fine. but we already planned to run the 8" and even at 160 psi it still rides like a caddy. anyhow, if you look at the bracket, youll see where the bag would mount to it.. there is NO BOLT HOLE!!! which makes no sense as thats where most of the stress will be put on the bracket.. so. from personal experience.. drill a hole and use a carriage bolt, or one of those fancy tapered bolts that will sit flush with the bracket ( i forget the name of them ) and another thing i would of done, had i known the brackets would bend like a soft taco, would be trace the plate where it mounts to the frame, and cut another out and samminch the frame, and even make it a bit longer to spread the load out. other then that its a very nice kit. use lots of the lube when installing it, and pay close attention when you put the link bars together as some of the ends have a slight angle built into them. as far as the install goes, the worst part is the drivers side front mount for the 4 link.. if you can drop the tank then it wont be a problem. or if you have small hands, loosen the straps as much as possible and move the tank out of the way so you can squeeze your hand in there.. also do a count on all your washers.. i had 40 5/16 flats and like 8 3/8 flats when it should have been the other way around.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

i dont know maybe they fixed the issue? my brackets are thick like 1/4 of an inch.. only way to find out is installing it. if its junk then i will have to fix it. maybe by moving the bag to the front where the weight is

yep, thats how thick it is... its the same... i spoke with them and they said it must of been the install... but its all bolt on and everything is good to go.. other then setting your pinon angle. but that has zero effect on the cantilever set up... its poor design in my eyes. like i said, where the bag would mount, on the flange side ( where it mounts to the frame ) you will see theres a decent gap where theres no bolt hole.. and thats where it started to bend.

you " could " put your bag on the front link bars.. but it would ride like crap, and you wouldnt have any travel.. your best bet for weight handling is bag on axle... which is what will be happening soon.. and once we get the bed off ill gladly take pictures and let you see how bent they really are. not trrying to be a dick, just trying to save you the headache if it happens to you as well since KP wont do anything for you other then tell you the price for a new kit

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

i see what you mean.. i have brackets that mount on the axle. i went with the cantilever because it seemed i would get most travel.. please post pictures maybe i can fix it before the headaches.. for weight maybe i can just put 1 sp4 on a saz 3500 v2 and just use 2 batteries.. its not my daily so getting loud is not a must.. could use the 9k on the expo and add more mayhems to it and wall it

the reason you get so much lift is because of where the bag is placed on the bar.. which means more movement, but less leverage.. so in turn you need more air to get to ride hight when you have enough weight in the truck. and then that is what stresses the bracket and starts to bend it. ive told you where it started to bend and what i would try in hopes of stopping this from happening after seeing it on my truck. and as far as how bad it is.. it sits at about.... a 40* angle upwards from the frame, rather then square to it, and the plate that is bolted to the frame is bowed out and i can stick my fingers between the plate and the frame at.. you guessed it... where theres no bolt home right near where the bag mounts, and where i suggested drilling and putting a bolt.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Archived