Second Skin Audio

Ported Box questions

I want to expand on my system and would like to try a custom ported box when I decide to purchase everything.

I'm going to be running 4 RF P3D210s (2010 model;400w RMS 800w peak) on 2 Hifonics Brutus 1200w amps. Could someone help me out with designing a box and give me pros and cons of a ported vs sealed box? Never built a box. Always bought them from shops.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

Somebody is going to need to know what vehicle and how much room you have. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

They are lots of info online about different types of enclosure and its pros and cons, you need to give more info as stated above, like maximum height, width and depth of the space you have to work with, type of vehicle, listening taste (type of music you listen to), overall goal etc...

2002 Mazda tribute. 40in wide, 25in deep, 17in tall. I have some other ideas for an amp rack to be flush with my back seats so that my amps, battery and wires are hidden unless I fold my seats down. Then, putting a 3-way component on top of the amp rack in an isolated box that is also flush with the headrest at 17in. tall. So, I'd like to take about 8in off the depth of my hatchback to be able to fit that rack in. I listen to mostly metal and use my subs primarily for the bass drops. I like everything else up in my door speakers. I do sometimes like to show off though, which is why I want to get more subs. Feel like I'm working my 10s too hard. I want to get more volume without straining my speakers or getting distortion. Don't have the money to just replace a sub at any time.

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Here is a suggestion within your dims:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34.5 Hz

Vb = 5.4 ft^3

External Height = 17 in

External Width = 39 in

External Depth = 22 in

Port Width = 5 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front & Back = 39 x 17

Left & Right Sides = 20 1/2 x 15 1/2

Top & Bottom = 39 x 20 1/2

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 18 x 15 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

4xsupb.jpg

Sweet! thanks man. Now, how would this design look if I wanted it sealed? From what I've been reading, a sealed box is more my tastes because there's less of a delay in quick drum beats as opposed to a ported box. Is this true?

Sweet! thanks man. Now, how would this design look if I wanted it sealed? From what I've been reading, a sealed box is more my tastes because there's less of a delay in quick drum beats as opposed to a ported box. Is this true?

It's a myth that a sealed box produces "quicker" or "tighter" bass. A properly designed and built ported box will do just fine with any music and will give you more output than a sealed box can give you.

you asked this question at the caraudio.com forum didn't you?

lol

i said that because there was a time on there years ago that no one on the forum was accepted by others unless you ran a sealed box. If you had a ported your system was shit and everyone hated on you until you just quite visiting.

I 1000000000000000000000000000000% agree with what sprkn ranger said,

A sealed box usually ends with disopointment.

you have 4 10s because you want it to slam, please do not restrict the capabilities of what you have by putting them in a sealed box.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

Here is a spec for a sealed box for those P3 10" subs:

Enclosure Specifications:

Vb = 2.36 ft^3

External Height = 10 in

External Width = 39 in

External Depth = 17 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 39 x 17

Left & Right Sides = 15 1/2 x 7 3/4

Front & Back = 39 x 7 3/4

If you have not heard either and you are going by what you have read then try to listen to some setups before deciding what to build. A low group delay ported design will approach to some extent sealed, if you don't mind loosing the bottom end of the bass then the easy way is building the sealed.

It's a myth that a sealed box produces "quicker" or "tighter" bass. A properly designed and built ported box will do just fine with any music and will give you more output than a sealed box can give you.

Not bashing Joe X's design, but would the ported box he designed fall in your category of "properly designed"? Also, by properly built, you're talking about build quality(sturdy, solid, not falling apart easily etc.)?

you asked this question at the caraudio.com forum didn't you?

lol

i said that because there was a time on there years ago that no one on the forum was accepted by others unless you ran a sealed box. If you had a ported your system was shit and everyone hated on you until you just quite visiting.

I 1000000000000000000000000000000% agree with what sprkn ranger said,

A sealed box usually ends with disopointment.

you have 4 10s because you want it to slam, please do not restrict the capabilities of what you have by putting them in a sealed box.

Never been to that forum or any other forum lol. Got my first system from a local shop by kind of guessing what I wanted based on my knowledge of instrument amplifiers and speakers. My purchase came out very well and I'm pleased with the sound of my current system. I just wanted to expand while trying some new things. This forum seems to have a high reputation, so here I am =)

That last sentence makes a lot of sense