Wiring a GM alt in a Ford?

I need some help on the subject of wiring a large case GM alternator in a '07 Ford F150. My problem is the new alternator has one wire used to turn the alt on from a 12 volt source. This is my first time doing an alt swap and I don't know where to find a good 12 volt source to turn the alternator on, and I don't want to have splices everywhere in my wiring harness from trial and error. Would the power wire to the head unit be a good source? I have talked with someone who uses a switch to turn his alternator on and off, but I would like to stay away from this because sometimes I can be forgetful!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2001 VW Passat Sportwagen

Alpine ICS-X7HD

DC Audio 5K

SSA 15" XCON

Tantric Sounds 6.5HD's, Sundound Audio SA-6.5CS

Incriminator Audio IA6.4

XS batteries, KnuKonceptz wirez, Second Skin

I need some help on the subject of wiring a large case GM alternator in a '07 Ford F150. My problem is the new alternator has one wire used to turn the alt on from a 12 volt source. This is my first time doing an alt swap and I don't know where to find a good 12 volt source to turn the alternator on, and I don't want to have splices everywhere in my wiring harness from trial and error. Would the power wire to the head unit be a good source? I have talked with someone who uses a switch to turn his alternator on and off, but I would like to stay away from this because sometimes I can be forgetful!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hey bro,..... I live 3 blocks from the base........... just a heads up... :twirl:

Can't you just tap into the field wire on you factory alt, that way it will charge properly?

The original Ford alt is turned on by the computer I believe. The GM alt bypasses the PCM, so no, hooking into the original alternator harness does nothing to turn this one on.

Can I ask why you want a GM alt?

It's a Singer alternator. I wanted the biggest that would fit and he has large case GM alts that fit my stock alt location. This is a 350 amp alternator, I guess a ford case can't be built up to this output. It will work perfect, I just need to find a 12 volt source.

KyLar96.... that's good to know. I told my girlfriend just the other day that it would be nice to know someone into car audio besides the normal "Best Buy" crowd.

2001 VW Passat Sportwagen

Alpine ICS-X7HD

DC Audio 5K

SSA 15" XCON

Tantric Sounds 6.5HD's, Sundound Audio SA-6.5CS

Incriminator Audio IA6.4

XS batteries, KnuKonceptz wirez, Second Skin

Archived