Second Skin Audio

Where to buy 8" flared aeroports? Detailed description w/ pic

So, I am thinking about changing some stuff up and I'm playing with the idea of running 4 Sundown Audio SA-8 V.2s in my 05 Impala. My only restriction other than size is that I want the subs AND port to be forward-facing so that I can seal the enclosure from the rest of the trunk area. Rear seats aren't folding ones but will be either out completely or will be converted into folding.

My maximum external dimensions are 39"W x 17"H x 40"D. Although, I don't want to have the depth maxed out so that I have room for batteries.

What I have so far is this enclosure measuring 39"W x 17"H x 25"D leaving me with 7.9 ft³ net volume and roughly 6.85 ft³ after displacement of only the subs. I haven't decided if I want to have an internal or external port, but I do want it to be an 8" aeroport, preferably flared. Only difference would be that I would have a second front baffle for more strength.

The following is a rendering of the above enclosure:

48inchbox.png

The center "ring" would be the port. The half inch gap between the circles is for the mounts.

What I need to know is two things (unless there are other suggestions of course);

1. Where can i buy an 8" aeroport?

I'd prefer to do this without spending upwards of $100 or spend more time than I want making a mold to flare hard to find PVC myself.

There was one person, Derrick, on another forum that was selling them for pretty cheap, but he stopped on the 22nd of last month (of course I'm late). There was another, Adrian_D, on yet another forum that sells just the flares for $65, but that's overpriced in my opinion.

2. Are there any advantages/disadvantages between internal and external ports beyond the obvious?

I haven't decided on if I want to do an internal or external port, but in either case, I would like it if it were removable to be able to change the tuning in the future.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

TLDR: Where can I buy an 8" aeroport?

Yes derrick824 was the guy making them, don't know if he still does tho, he's a member around here also, maybe you could use a heat gun and a metallic bowl??? that's the way i always "build" them and works great for such fast and easy process, here's a video i recorded long time ago building the flares for my swift, they ended up looking very nice IMO, i couldn't build them bigger since they wouldn't fit, but you get the idea....

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Thanks for the response fecupe2001! I loved your thread with how you tested small things that can increase dB.

I would try my hand at making my own flared aeroports out of PVC, but I can't seem to find 8" PVC at any local hardware stores and the places I have found online cost more shipped than I would want to pay for something I need to modify so heavily.

my pleasure bro, glad you like that topic and find it useful :)

damn that sucks, maybe you could find someone that works on construction? that guy can surely get you an 8" pvc pipe with the lenght you require, that's what i always do around here, there's a 4 15" box i'm building SOON that is gonna have a 12" pvc port lol

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

i didnt find huge pvc at first because i live in a big city and homedepo and stores didnt have it but i found if i went to a store out of the city they had way more of that stuff

Edited by bdog

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

whats the name of this store?

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

you need to go to a plumbing store for pipe. there are a few ppl that figure out how to make it well and sell for a little while, but usually give up on it

Yea, it doesn't look like I'll even be able to make it work with only a ~1/2" flare anyway. I completely overlooked that. I'll probably end up making a sort of hybrid square port and try rounding as many edges as I can and hoping that will work well enough.

Thanks for the help guys.

Gosh, it's so hard trying to get things to fit in a car that isn't a hatchback.

Edited by Krayzie

Question. Why is that box so big? You can pretty much fit 4 12"s in that space.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion