Sonic Electronix

About to install a boat audio system. Needs some pointers!

A good friend of mine knows I do a lot with car audio, and he's wondering if I can help him out with his boat.

He said he's cut holes for the speakers, and that's about it. He's already got 2 12's, about 6 component speakers, a sony headunit, but no wires. The boat never had a radio or any speakers in it. I'm wondering what to expect when I go to help him out..

How does the headunit get power? Should I just run a power to the battery? And let him power on or off the headunit himself? What other things should I note? I've got the speaker wire to run from the headunit to his speakers.. But is there anything else I should watch for?

Any tips? This is basically completely custom because there's no stock harness or anything.

Boats are very basic. People just tend to think of it too much. Simply run your power and ground 12-16g wire for the radio. Splice the power to run to the constant and then the remote wire to a toggle switch on the dash to turn it on and off. If an amp is being installed you have to have enough power and ground wire to reach the battery. A voltage meter is always a safe bet if the boat doesn't have one. Hide the wires when you run them where they won't get punched. And marine grade equipment is always recommended so you don't ruin the gear.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Nice. Ok, so for actually powering the headunit, can I just do a power wire from the battery to the head unit (fused) ? .. He wants to be able to play music while the boats off for short periods of time.. (He knows it drains the battery)

If he has a boat with batteries it should have a tender or charger on board to keep them charged for anything else he'll have to run. Make sure you get marine grade audio or that the equipment doesnt get wet or moisture build up. And i wouldnt go hacking holes in a fiberglass boat, id learn how to glass if you dont already know. And be prepared to spend alot of time making things as 100% as possible

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Just FYI, don't connect the "remote" wire (blue or blue/white, usually marked REM or CONT POWER) of the radio to a toggle switch unless you want to buy your friend a new radio.

This is how I would do it

Power and ground (appropriate gauge) all the way from the battery (+ is fused within 18" of the battery) to where the amp is located and run to a distribution block. The distribution block will allow you to connect the 12V and ground of the radio to the block and avoid running another power and ground all the way to the battery.

Radio wiring:

Yellow = connects to your (+) distribution block (or + of the battery)

red = connects to your toggle switch that Robert mentioned (other connection on the toggle switch goes to your (+) distribution block (or battery) along with the yellow from the radio

BLack = to your (-) distribution block (or - of the battery)

Blue/white - P. Control or REM wire goes to the REM (or REMOTE) connection of your amplifier.

Daewoo Leganza with Commodore 64 installed in the dash.

"Just FYI, don't connect the "remote" wire (blue or blue/white, usually marked REM or CONT POWER) of the radio to a toggle switch unless you want to buy your friend a new radio."

I believe you, but why is this? What would happen?

All stainless steel screws.

You have power for the radio at the key switch.

Most people dont make things secure enough in a boat.

Gotta remember how hard it will be hitting wakes on the lake

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

"Just FYI, don't connect the "remote" wire (blue or blue/white, usually marked REM or CONT POWER) of the radio to a toggle switch unless you want to buy your friend a new radio."

I believe you, but why is this? What would happen?

Blue or blue/white is a 12 volt output that is used to turn on amplifiers or power antennas. Sending 12 volts into this wire usually damages the radio. Sorry it took so long to respond, out of town.

Daewoo Leganza with Commodore 64 installed in the dash.

Archived