Portable hard drive instead of flash drive?

how did you go about transfering your music to your hdd? Because I am trying to but its fuckin up ALL the names and puttin the artist, title and track number all in the title

That's how all 9k of my music was too, i'm guessing it's a function of iTunes. The way I used to organize my music was like this:

After downloading an album I'd unRAR it and use MP3tag to tag it properly. End result would be an album tagged with the correct song title, album artist, song artist, genre and year of release. The song file would be the name of the track only, nothing else. After tagging the album I'd place the tagged album into my "add to iTunes automatically" folder and then open iTunes, which checks that folder and automatically adds the music to iTunes and makes a new folder for it (based on the artist and album name). If the artist already has a folder, it'll make a folder in the artists folder for the album. If the artist doesn't exist, it'll make a new folder for the artist as well as a folder for the album in the artist folder. I think at some point during all that iTunes renames the file and adds the track number at the beginning because every single song in my collection was tagged like that.

So what I did was retagged it all with MP3tag, and once the songs were tagged right and while still in MP3tag I simply selected all the songs and dragged them into a new folder on my desktop.....I didn't bother to make any folders for each artist or anything. So I ended up with a folder on my desktop with 9k+ songs in it. At that point I opened the folder and highlighted about half the songs and just dragged and dropped them to my HD....let that finish and then dragged and dropped the other half. Done deal and all my songs kept the tag info like I set in MP3tag and all were recognized by my deck.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

thanks man I'm gonna download that mp3tag now and give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after giving this a go for a couple weeks I've decided to ditch the HD and stick with the iPod. It's nice to know the large capacity external HD thing works on this deck but I don't like that it "banks" everytime you turn the deck on, doesn't bank the songs in a logical order, searching isn't exactly easy or fast (as far as navigating via the deck UI) and having to learn a whole new music management process is kinda weak too cause nothing so far is as easy as using iTunes. Considering getting a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 8gb with a 64gb microSD card.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I wish i would have seen this thread before. I tried this a long time ago wit a 500 gig drive. My headunit wont read over around 2k songs. Had same problems as you because of fat32 limitations and such. I just got one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345518482&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+thumb+mini

not exactly like mine, but it's super compact and awesome.

I wish i would have seen this thread before. I tried this a long time ago wit a 500 gig drive. My headunit wont read over around 2k songs. Had same problems as you because of fat32 limitations and such. I just got one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345518482&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+thumb+mini

not exactly like mine, but it's super compact and awesome.

The limitations seem to be with the deck, but I could be wrong. The only thing stopping me from getting a flash drive is it's subject to the same guidelines as far as character limits, tagging, etc. I'm not too sure a Galaxy Player would be any better for me, honestly, since the deck will likey see it as just another usb device and I'd be stuck using the headphone out as the audio signal and would have to control the music via the device itself. Seems I'd either have to replace the deck with one that has native android controls or buy the bluetooth box for it and hope the BT audio streaming works/sounds better than the headphone out.

Decisions, decisions

About the time the next technology comes along for storage,h /u's will start supporting more than 2k files

My deck can support up to 20k or 30k songs....with the external hd setup listed above my deck was seeing about 9100 songs ;)

it's definitely related to the deck. My HU is atleast 3 years old now, if not older, and it read just fine for the longest. The problems I'm having now are directly related to the hard drive itself losing power, perhaps because of the usb cable or lack of power from the HU.

I've decided to join the bandwagon of putting a tablet in my car, either a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. The nexus can be rooted to recognize your USB drive and the Tab does it off rip. BUT, I'll have to buy an EQ, fab the EQ in the bezel somewhere, and find a way to connect the tab to my flip down monitor.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried my alpine and my kenwood and they would not read a hard drive. So i just use a few 16gb flash drives with great results.

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

Archived