Portable hard drive instead of flash drive?

Just wondering if these decks that have usb ports can play music files off a portable hard drive, something like a WD Passport for example? Reason i'm asking is cause my deck (listed in my sig) has a usb input which I normally connect my iPod to. My 64 gb iPod Touch is full now and I was thinking about getting another one but then I started wondering about this idea. Right now I have a 320gb Toshiba USB 3.0 portable hard drive in my cart on Amazon, it's like $55....would this work?

I wouldn't really be losing out much by not using the iPod cause I can't see the album artwork or change song ratings when it's plugged in to my deck anyway. And also, the Toshiba doesn't need a power source, it gets powered up the by usb port.

What ya think?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Why dont you buy one from walmart and if it dosnt work just return it.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

My headunit has a usb thats in my sig and it doesnt work with a 320g

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

probobly would end up being slow if it did work, i highly doubt something that high of a capacity would work though.

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

I took my 320g external hard drive to a geek teck friend of mine and had him to partition 3 sections on the drive to FAT32 and leave the rest NFTS (I think that is what its called) 120 something gigs left ...

Works great on my Kenwood DNX9980HD unit ... but has not worked on any other head unit I tried ...

hope this helps some ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

im interested to know if mine works or not now. Im gonna check when i get home. i have a pioneer so no help to you, but ill let you know

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

I took my 320g external hard drive to a geek teck friend of mine and had him to partition 3 sections on the drive to FAT32 and leave the rest NFTS (I think that is what its called) 120 something gigs left ...

Works great on my Kenwood DNX9980HD unit ... but has not worked on any other head unit I tried ...

hope this helps some ...

Now my headunit only sees those FAT32 partitions ... It does not see the other partition, no matter whats on it ...

So my guess is ... If its not set up in FAT32 format, its not going to work at all ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

It's very common for media devices to read only FAT32, my 160 gb ipod is in FAT32 as well, and being harddrive based, it actually load all my songs very quickly on my Kenwood DNX 7100.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I have a Pioneer p4000dvd and a seagate freeagent 250gb. They worked flawlessly out of the box for about a year and a half, then the seagate started to die slowly.

one problem I read about was that portable hard drives with disc can get damaged if they take too much vibration (ie: YOUR BASS), so I think that's what happened. Either that, or my deck stopped powering it correctly.

It is true that the decks only recognize fat32, but there are more than a few programs online that you can download to make the hard drive fat32 format with the entire capactiy available. I don't remember the names, but I've used googled, found, lost, and re-found the programs a dozen times.

Either way, YES, they work....and mines was working 2 years ago, daily, with over 30 gbs of music on it. The head units are only restricted by how many folders they can load. Some have a folder structure limit or a file limit. The easiest way to find out is to take your portable hard drive to a car audio store that has the deck you want and simply connect it.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

Archived