boomin' brick 93' Volvo 240 build (4) 10's - Update: 6-20-14 EQ Install w/Build Pics

very very nice man. I'm very jealous of your large trunk space lmao

your car looks very clean for it's age with not many miles for its age too

thanks alot. unfortunately I'm trying to save as much trunk space as possible for reasons that will become clear later on :) yeah the thing is almost 20 years old and there is hardly any rust. thats why i had to keep it, that and they will go 400k with hardly any maintenance.

edit: she's got 90k on her so she;s good to go for a while i hope

heres another look at the inside on the box

IMG_1565.jpg

a quick test fit before I get to the glassin'

IMG_1566.jpg

I figured i would leave the back off of the box until i was ready to permanently install it. much lighter and easier to pull in and out of the trunk.

Got my piece's of mat all cut and ready to go

IMG_1569.jpg

Then I saturated the crap out of them to make sure they stay put

IMG_1571.jpg

all said and done i put about a 1/4 inch of mat in the weak spots. so i think she's safe from breaking now

Here's a little side project i did while I was fiberglassing my sub box. My next door neighbor plays hockey and his goalie mask was in serious need of repair. Once i saw it was made of fiberglass I told him to let me have it and i'll make it strong as F*** lol

First thing i did was grind out all the epoxy he tried to fix it with.

IMG_1570.jpg

The tape is there to keep the fiberglass from falling in when i applied it

after a thin layer on the front i cleaned up the inside a bit to add a few layers of glass to the inside.

IMG_1572.jpg

and after more glass and some sanding heres the final product

IMG_1573.jpg

notice there isn't an once of body filler just a buttload of glass lol

he said the first time he wore it he caught a puck right in the spot it was messed up and the puck just bounced off.

at least i know now if i need a new career i can fix sporting equipment hahahaha

After i was done with the fiberglassing I had to make sure all the subs still fit.

IMG_1586.jpg

It's so pretty to bad the box will be hidden by the backseat.

Then was the fun of soldering 8 gauge wire to all the subs.

IMG_1585.jpg

the last thing i need is a connector falling off inside a box where they only way to fix it will be to remove it from the car...again lol

once i had the box all set i decided it was time for some sound deadening. since the subs were basically firing right into some sheet metal I thought it was a good idea lol. maybe in a future build I will cut all that out and re-support it but at this moment i wasn't looking for that much work hahahaha

IMG_1582.jpg

hard to tell in that pic but i have sealed every opening back to the truck also. I want as much bass as i can get from these things :)

Next i carpeted the front of the box so when you fold the armrest down you dont see MDF. I didnt get any pics of the wiring in the box, but all the wires that were soldered to the subs just went to some bolts that pass through the back of the box.

here's the box after a little carpet and some subs installed.

IMG_1587.jpg

the only nice thing about little subs is that all together the subs and box probably only weigh 75 lbs. or so. which is nice since i dont usually have anyone helping me.

here's she is installed for a test run

IMG_1588.jpg

it hammers pretty good for a small enclosure with small woofers, it will be a lot better when its completely sealed to the cabin.

while i was testing I noticed the ass was sagging a lot, I guess the old springs had put in their time and the added weight of the box sealed the deal lol. luckily they make overload springs that handle 20% more weight and it would level the old girl out.

IMG_1658.jpg

and like that "BAM" its fixed hahahah

Archived