Sundown Audio

Why is low voltage bad for amps?

SnowDrifter

For the heat part it creates heat because higher voltage means less resistance, example high voltage power lines like 400kv are like that because power companies lose less power to heat loss, its more efficient, when voltage drops resistance increases and cause lots of heat.

An amp is just a circuit, its stupid, it will do what its designed for, so say its designed to output a certain power, if the voltage drops it will try and pull more amps to create that power until it burns out. With it pulling more amps than its designed for and the heat increasing from resistance, amps die.

So, is it more efficient to run an amp at 18v?

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

To a point. Some can take it, some cant.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

To keep power output the same, the amp has to compensate by pulling more amps, which, like he ^^^ said, creates heat.

At least that's my understanding of it.

But then why does it do that?

Why what? Why does the amp try to keep output the same, pull more current or get hot?

P=V*I v being voltage I being current in amps and P being power in watts. If V drops I increases to keep the same power thus more current, current at a basic level, moving electrons generate heat. Wires get hot and that is bad.

So what is the point of a protector on a amp? Why does it smoke and not protect itself?

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill