Amateur Radio Enthusiasts

Anyone here a ham/amateur radio enthusiast? I'm planning on hopefully testing the 8th of next month, mainly to join the ARESnet and Skywarn nets locally, but it's always something fun to get into. Does anyone have an idea of how hard the test is? I'm going to take the practice tests online.

POTATO!

Never Taken the test. I have been around c.b.'s most my life though. I've had tons of setups, most were pretty funny. Everything from a cobra 19 hooked to a mobile antenna on a cookie sheet to a galaxy 2527 hooked to a 1kw amp and a antron 99 80ft in the air. I loved having that one, could key down and really talk. Thing would dead key at like 300w at swing 1100 - 1200 watts. Of course When i lived out east I had a modest setup, a cobra 25 and a 200 watt (150w fets) but could get out about 50 miles on clear nights.

I always enjoyed when skip would be rolling and would keep track of all my contacts, I talked to canadia, florida, california and others.

Good luck with the test!

Never Taken the test. I have been around c.b.'s most my life though. I've had tons of setups, most were pretty funny. Everything from a cobra 19 hooked to a mobile antenna on a cookie sheet to a galaxy 2527 hooked to a 1kw amp and a antron 99 80ft in the air. I loved having that one, could key down and really talk. Thing would dead key at like 300w at swing 1100 - 1200 watts. Of course When i lived out east I had a modest setup, a cobra 25 and a 200 watt (150w fets) but could get out about 50 miles on clear nights.

I always enjoyed when skip would be rolling and would keep track of all my contacts, I talked to canadia, florida, california and others.

Good luck with the test!

Thanks! CB never really interested me. For small talk on a long boring drive it's alright, but my buddy has an old Vertex VHF radio he's going to let me borrow until I can get me a radio (he replaced his with a MotoTRBO mobile for use for Emergency Management with the local PD.

POTATO!

If you need any help with the equipment, specifically installing it in a vehicle, let me know. I work for the largest radio communications company in Ohio and install radios daily. The Vertex radio will work but if you are serious about getting into this at all, look into a Motorola radio. The TRBO units are awesome and by far the most popular/most common units these days, but even an old MaxTrac or Astro would work great. Just make sure that you follow the rules/laws very carefully...they have been cracking down on people really hard since the narrow banding started.

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.

If you need any help with the equipment, specifically installing it in a vehicle, let me know. I work for the largest radio communications company in Ohio and install radios daily. The Vertex radio will work but if you are serious about getting into this at all, look into a Motorola radio. The TRBO units are awesome and by far the most popular/most common units these days, but even an old MaxTrac or Astro would work great. Just make sure that you follow the rules/laws very carefully...they have been cracking down on people really hard since the narrow banding started.

What company? I remember seeing B&C offices all over the place when I went through Ohio. We have an office literally across the road, and they carry our contract for our radio systems now. I know how to install a radio in a vehicle, as well as my friend, we're not complete idiots...keyword: complete :lol: Plus, getting my ham license pretty much will exclude me from the scanner/radio ban in KY (which I still think needs rewritten/removed)

POTATO!

I've got a friend that has all kinds of equipment. He's a HAMer and does all kinds of crap that I'll never understand. He's in WV: KD8KWJ

He wanted me to do the tests back a few years ago when he took them. He said they were easy, and I could learn everything I needed in a weekend.

You shouldn't have any trouble with it.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

Archived