Second Skin Audio

Port Area VS Low Tuning

TRTC360

Im tuned to 23hz with 11sqin and love it, 10hz full tilt? No problem. My 2 18s wall was 37hz with 15sqin and i hated it, had a horrible drop off below 33hz and above 40hz. It was a very peaky box.

that's what I hate about being tuned to 36, songs that get stupid low my subs are basically free airing, sure my box is a shitty prefab but it's still tuned to 36hz, I just wish I could tune lower than 36 and stay with 14sqin of port per cube.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Totally agree my current box is 10sq in per cuft tuned at 30 plays easily to 18hz and up to 65hz

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

If this helps, the subs i'm running are AB XFL's 12's, lots of people have told me they aren't the best subs for lows but I beg to differ, my friends box tuned to 30hz with 14sqin of port per cube, running HDC3 12's on about 2k, digs deep down into the 20's which are the types of lows i really like, 36hz won't really get as low as I want it to

Why would you tune that low with HDC3's? that's just stupid.

I completely disagree with you loud n-low. I don't see much sense at all tuning to 20 hz. It's all application dependent, did a box for a buddy's CVX 12's. 4 cubes with 61 square inches of port tuned to 34. drops down to the 20's no problem.

OP, isn't the whole point of a removable port to be able to play with tuning and port area? why even ask, just try it and find out what you like.

I swear all the vets have gone to sleep..

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I am planning 5000wrms on 2 15's want to be able to do hair tricks. How important is port area? So would 14sqin per cube be better than 12sqin per cube tuned at 33hz

you want more port area dude. trust me. you'll move a lot more air that way. the less port you have the closer it gets to a leaky sealed box.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I cant explain why it is and dont really care to know the reasoning behind it, but in the builds I have done, the lower that you want to tune, the less port area you need. If you want to tune to 30hz or lower. 10-12in2 of port. 30-35hz 12-14in2, 35hz and up 14-16in2 of port.

In all honesty, so much of it just depends on the vehicle and the box. I can build 2 boxes that are built to the exact same specs and 1 may sound and peak completely different than the other.

This game we call car audio is all about testing. It can get really irritating at times, but the result in the end is worth the pain!

I cant explain why it is and dont really care to know the reasoning behind it, but in the builds I have done, the lower that you want to tune, the less port area you need. If you want to tune to 30hz or lower. 10-12in2 of port. 30-35hz 12-14in2, 35hz and up 14-16in2 of port.

In all honesty, so much of it just depends on the vehicle and the box. I can build 2 boxes that are built to the exact same specs and 1 may sound and peak completely different than the other.

This game we call car audio is all about testing. It can get really irritating at times, but the result in the end is worth the pain!

I found this to be true with my builds also

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

If this helps, the subs i'm running are AB XFL's 12's, lots of people have told me they aren't the best subs for lows but I beg to differ, my friends box tuned to 30hz with 14sqin of port per cube, running HDC3 12's on about 2k, digs deep down into the 20's which are the types of lows i really like, 36hz won't really get as low as I want it to

Why would you tune that low with HDC3's? that's just stupid.

I completely disagree with you loud n-low. I don't see much sense at all tuning to 20 hz. It's all application dependent, did a box for a buddy's CVX 12's. 4 cubes with 61 square inches of port tuned to 34. drops down to the 20's no problem.

OP, isn't the whole point of a removable port to be able to play with tuning and port area? why even ask, just try it and find out what you like.

I swear all the vets have gone to sleep..

Probably drops down to 20 with subsonic on 30hz lol, play it full tilt subsonic off for a whole song in the low 20s and see how that goes.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

4 FT1s

C1600.2

8 PWX 8s
ONX2.100

Audio Technix Wiring & Sound Deadener

My Youtube

Feedback

I am planning 5000wrms on 2 15's want to be able to do hair tricks. How important is port area? So would 14sqin per cube be better than 12sqin per cube tuned at 33hz

you want more port area dude. trust me. you'll move a lot more air that way. the less port you have the closer it gets to a leaky sealed box.

Yeah maybe like 1sq in per cu ft Lol hell look at Meades box 20 cubes with only 120 sq in of port tuned to 30hz that equals 6 sq in per cu ft and we can all agree it don't sound like no leaky sealed box just sayn....

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

I'm not saying it would sound like one. Output wouldn't be the same. Meade said he wanted more port himself. He's doing hairtricks because he's got a fuck ton of cone area and a shitload of power.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived