15.3 volts, idling?

I can't believe this is possible, but...

I have a 91 Lincoln towncar. 0/1 run front to back into a fuse, and a. 4 gauge from fuse to a hifonics Zeus 500.2 bridged @4 ohms. Big 3 done, stock 95amp alt. and whatever size battery a towncar takes (it is huge, tho). Here's where it gets funny. I checked my voltage @ the amp with my dmm, while music is playing, and car is idling, and voltage reads 15.3! With car off voltage @ amp is 14.3. I know it can't be possible, but its what my dmm is telling me. I checked the dmm on another cars battery, and on my ohms setting, and it read right.

What do you guys think? I'm gonna post pics too.

your dmm is broken i had one that told me i was at a higher voltage then i bought a new one and it was corrected

edit: what kind of dmm is it?

it's in the pic. i don't really remember the exact brand off hand.

but if the dmm is broke, why is reading right on a totally different car. on the other car, with nothing done to it, it idles at 14.1 and sits at 13.8 with car off?

What do you mean exactly when you checked the DMM on another cars battery on "your ohm setting"

DMM should just be set to read DC voltage period. Maybe you meant something else.

Did you try disconnecting both positive and negative cables from your battery and testing it that way?

It sounds like you have never messed with your battery if you aren't sure what it is. Did you purchase the car used? It is possible but bnot likely that someone put a 14V battery in there. Just a thought until we get more info. Something is probably wrong with the meter

Maybe the other car's number's are also higher on than mulitmeter than they actually are, I would say try testing with a different multimeter if you can.

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Maybe the other car's number's are also higher on than mulitmeter than they actually are, I would say try testing with a different multimeter if you can.

X2

What do you mean exactly when you checked the DMM on another cars battery on "your ohm setting"

DMM should just be set to read DC voltage period. Maybe you meant something else.

Did you try disconnecting both positive and negative cables from your battery and testing it that way?

It sounds like you have never messed with your battery if you aren't sure what it is. Did you purchase the car used? It is possible but bnot likely that someone put a 14V battery in there. Just a thought until we get more info. Something is probably wrong with the meter

i missed where he said it was ohms setting.... yeah it should be at dc voltage, check that you have everything correct then try again... if its at dc voltage at you still get a high number like that your dmm is messed up

i didn't mean i checked the battery with the ohm setting. i checked my sub with the ohm setting. i didn't disconnect the battery yet because its too dark out already. i haven't changed the battery since i got the car 4-5 months ago. got it from my wifes gma when she passed. so before me, she was the only owner. she bought it brand new in 91. the car has always been serviced by a lincoln dealer, so i doubt they put a 14 volt battery in it. but, maybe.

i missed where he said it was ohms setting.... yeah it should be at dc voltage, check that you have everything correct then try again... if its at dc voltage at you still get a high number like that your dmm is messed up

I changed the text color where he says it

I can't believe this is possible, but...

I have a 91 Lincoln towncar. 0/1 run front to back into a fuse, and a. 4 gauge from fuse to a hifonics Zeus 500.2 bridged @4 ohms. Big 3 done, stock 95amp alt. and whatever size battery a towncar takes (it is huge, tho). Here's where it gets funny. I checked my voltage @ the amp with my dmm, while music is playing, and car is idling, and voltage reads 15.3! With car off voltage @ amp is 14.3. I know it can't be possible, but its what my dmm is telling me. I checked the dmm on another cars battery, and on my ohms setting, and it read right.

What do you guys think? I'm gonna post pics too.

Archived