Netgear is pretty good. As far as which one? No clue. My laptop came with built in wifi, and I have my desktop wired. No wireless for it, which has been a pain at times, but eh. I'd honestly go to a computer store (not Bob's computer shack, a place like microcenter) and they'll hook you up. If you don't wanna do that route, you could just go wherever electronics are sold and look at speeds. Obviously the more pricier, the better they perform...SUPPOSEDLY.

Edit: Ok so your in NZ, so not sure what they have for computer stores but a place that's big named and such. Not just a local podunk place

Edited by WastedTalent

Sheena = pedobear

You gotta think, is it just this site or is it the entire internet? If sometimes searching on google is slow, obviously it's the entire internet, which would then be your provider. But if this is fast for a few mins, then slow for a few mins... and the rest of the internet is fast? Nothing wrong with your provider. It's the site. So that's the only thing I was trying to bring up... that at times this site does basically crash for a minute or two, then acts like normal.

Sheena = pedobear

Any good wireless cards you can suggest? hah might start looking for a new one even though this one was working fine for months but has slowed down dramatically over the last month

linksys >> dlink>> netgear

802.11N is the faster mainstream speed widely available currently still iirc.

But if your wireless router is older, even with a faster 802.11N wireless network card, you will only receive the speed and range of whatever your router is.

Since most network cards are backwards compatible with the older router speeds, but useless to buy the newer faster tech if your router isnt going to support those said speeds. So maybe worth something to look into also. ;)

Edited by Audiofanaticz

haha yup little shitty NZ! ill have a hunt around tomorrow. But i dont want to spend some money on a new one then find out its my mother board shitting its self

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Any good wireless cards you can suggest? hah might start looking for a new one even though this one was working fine for months but has slowed down dramatically over the last month

linksys >> dlink>> netgear

802.11N is the faster mainstream speed widely available currently still iirc.

But if your wireless router is older, even with a faster 802.11N wireless network card, you will only receive the speed and range of whatever your router is.

Since most network cards are backwards compatible with the older router speeds, but useless to buy the newer faster tech if your router isnt going to support those said speeds. So maybe worth something to look into also. ;)

True, but considering he did say it was fine for months and then has slowed... makes me think it's not the router. I've never heard of a router slow down. If it does 15mb/s down, always has done 15mb/s. It's the receiving end that usually screws up. But fact he did say that loses connection, maybe it is the router and it's connecting/disconnecting. Had that with mine the other day. Wired would work, wireless was a no-go. Unplugged, plugged back in, everything works now. And I somehow think he's tried that haha.

Sheena = pedobear

Yes sir I wasn't trying to be a butt or anything. I'm just glade I don't have to learn how to do all this my brain hurts half the time now lol. We have diff package levels for speed we upgraded to the third level which is one below the buesness level. Then the provider has been having server probs and their server provider has been acting up. Yea it used to just pop up fast then it slowed down but I've noticed it comes and goes. Figured they were working on it and I can still get on so I'm happy. Plus the fact I don't know crap how this stuff works other than turning the laptop or iPad on click link and go.

thats a good way to keep my sanity ^^^ haha

I normally direct download between 13-18mb/s.... I just tried to download VLC and was downloading at 3.8kb/s my laptop is running fine as im using it at the moment to try figure this shit out and its on the same router

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Motherboard is most likely fine if your just having internet issues, and your signal dropping.

If it was a faulty mobo, more than likely you would be experiencing much more issues, and even if it was your mobo you can normally find replacement oem boards or aftermarket boards to replace it fairly cheap (dependent if your pc is a prebuilt like a dell, hp, compaq, etc or if its something you built).

Also depending on your computer, and interface of your current networking card, if you buy a new one, Id strongly suggest buying a PCI Express x1 style card, versus the older PCI style (thats IF and only IF your motherboard has the PCI Express x1 slot). The older traditional PCI slots are being phased out of many computers now days and rare to see them on a lot of new mobo's.

So if you do have the PCI Express x1 slot than your network card will work on your newer computer if you upgrade anytime, otherwise with the older PCI, you may get stuck buying a new card if you upgrade to fit the PCI Express x1 on the new mobo if you upgrade (unless you by a dated replacement mobo to fix yours IF its bad) which I doubt.

Dont know how computer savoy you are at all so just wanted to explain it clearly and what not. ;)

To know what style(s) you have you just gotta open up your case, the PCI Express x1 slots is very short.

pc_slots.gif