Second Skin Audio

Huge Kerfs with T-line building fun!! lots of pics

revoracing247

Nice man! That tline looks awesome and sounds great too!

I'm so confused what sub was the box made for what's the Fs of that speaker? Why would/did you tune the tline below Fs of the sub? Good luck! I hope you dont break soft parts tuned tgat low; mis tuned tline are notorious for breaking soft parts

i haven't tuned below the fs of any of the subs i've used in t-lines. for my 24hz one i tuned that low because the subs fs is that low. it's honestly not the best fit sub for a t-line but with an fs so low i figured it wouldn't matter if the response curve dropped off pretty fast after the tuning frequency. and after i build it i did realize that i messed up in the design a little bit. i thought the line was measured from the driver but i was wrong lol so after some math the t-line is more closer tuned to 23Hz. and i have yet to break any soft parts with it.

I guess to answer your question he figured out he fucked up. After he built the box he learned more. And I know how to build a t line to come area lol.

He built 3 different t lines it seems. One for kicker, then JL, then the sa8

I thought he did it the last box with a 10" Fi sub

Maybe I'm mistaken

It it was tuned higher I bet t would player better allround

Shit I do t even think I have songs that play to 24hz let alone any lower than that

the last box i built for a JL 8 that is actually the 8" model of my 12" JL. and upon looking around i found that an SA8 has almost exactly the same fs. and so the kerfed folded horn is tuned right around 34.5hz if im remembering right. so both the JL8 and the SA8 should be good fits for the same box and yeah it does play pretty well. and yes i do struggle to find songs that play down to 24Hz lol though after some tweaking the box plays really well in the 29-38hz range. in my truck i was peaking right around 36Hz.

Another common mistake I see not positive but when I was doing my research is you need the sub and port as close as possible so they work together not the other way around like how I see basically all tlined except for I beleive it was the wall with 6 10s all individual enclosures stacked up. I'm pretty sure his port and subs were as close as possible just like this

2012-02-09_18-25-16_297.jpg

Not like this

photobucket-1561-1332564396384.jpg

you are right, a t-line just guides the wave till it's reverse 180 degrees and is in phase with the front side of the sub. so in putting them as close together as possible you can have both the waves coming out of the relatively same spot. though i don't think it'll make a crazy amount of difference. all it would cause is a little bit of delay for one of the waves to get to you if you aren't listening to it from the same distance from both the sub and the port.

anyways, hopefully this clears some things up.

also: the boxes i've made so far in order

Kicker freeair 8" t-line tuned to 47Hz (my first box ever)

JL 12W3V2-D4 t-line tuned to 24Hz

JL 8W3V2-D4 (or SA8V2) folded horn with 50% expansion tuned to 34.5hz

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

you've got some sweet box building skills man, I love what you did with your most recent box :good:

keep it up, eventually I would like to try making kerfs :detail:

go for it! if you have a radial arm saw they are really easy to cut, and then the boards are really easy to break lol and thanks man!

Nice man! That tline looks awesome and sounds great too!

thanks snow! wish you could have heard it with the JL in it.

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

I did t relize the Fs of that jbl was so low damn

Thanks for clearing it all up

Ya the port and the sub next to each other; is best but its all such a small difference your not going to hear it

I love watching people build tlines. A well designed and built j r will always get down over the average ported box

How does the one tuned to 24 ish sound on the higher bass?

It does matter if it drops off steep at 24hz lol. It's 24hz. That's about a low as it gets

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I did t relize the Fs of that jbl was so low damn

Thanks for clearing it all up

Ya the port and the sub next to each other; is best but its all such a small difference your not going to hear it

I love watching people build tlines. A well designed and built j r will always get down over the average ported box

How does the one tuned to 24 ish sound on the higher bass?

It does matter if it drops off steep at 24hz lol. It's 24hz. That's about a low as it gets

haha exactly, that was my mentality in building it so low. and well it had a second resonant frequency at like 70hz somewhere that really bothered me before cause it just sounded like this note thats not supposed to be there, but it seems to have gotten better since putting fiberglass resign on the outside and painting it and stuff. not exactly sure why lol but yeah, im actually over powering the sub (rms rating is 300, im pushing around 500) (im only doing this cause i have a back up sub ready to go in if it blows) and so if i play full volume on the higher notes it really distorts and sounds horrible. but if i only give it 300w then everything plays and sounds great. im ready to move on to bigger stuff though. :P

and i do love looking at t-line builds too lol just something about them is cool

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

If you want a quick easy project, build an enclosure out of the poster board like the project 3 good white stuff. And glue it together.

Good to test different folded horn enclosures out. Only good for small drivers of course 1-3" maybe 4" drivers. But fun

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

If you want a quick easy project, build an enclosure out of the poster board like the project 3 good white stuff. And glue it together.

Good to test different folded horn enclosures out. Only good for small drivers of course 1-3" maybe 4" drivers. But fun

what kind of glue would you use? and i was thinking of playing around with designs like that, but more with like 1/4" cheap wood or what ever and doing it with lie 6.5" sub drivers. just to have fun and learn with out spending like $60 on wood and glue and stuff for one box

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

what kind of glue would you use? and i was thinking of playing around with designs like that, but more with like 1/4" cheap wood or what ever and doing it with lie 6.5" sub drivers. just to have fun and learn with out spending like $60 on wood and glue and stuff for one box

I like hot glue for the poster bc it's cheap. CA glue if ur using wood. Or maybe you could use a stapler and hot glue to seal it up.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

• 4 weeks later...

looks like im gonna need to get some hot glue :peepwall:

WP_20130514_003_zps16cd8a72.jpg

WP_20130516_016_zps787a3b92.jpg

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470