Jump to content

Premium and regular gas?


Recommended Posts

Posted

So since I plan on gettin a new car I am between honda civic SI, Mitsubishi Evo X, and Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. The Si takes regular gas (I think) and the Evo and Eclipse both take premium. I was wondering if you guys have a car that takes both which kind of gas ends up being cheaper. Rigth now I have a Toyota 4runner I get horrible gas, over sized tires and going to put a lift on it. I am looking for something fast but good on gas that won't require me to spend $70+ to fill up my tank any info would be great. I didn't mean to make a vs thread but I guess I am making a premium vs regular gas thread. If it is against rules still for this someone just tell me

Posted

Well I have a Kia optima and I just put $60 of 87 octane in and it didn't even top it off. I get about 30-33 mpg on highway with it.

If I were you I would get whichever one you like better. Gas prices will always go up and down regardless of what kind of car you get so get the one you like best that you can afford and be happy.

Posted

My car is roughly $40-53+ depending if I fill up at 1/4 or at E. If I drive it down to E, I normally get about 380-400 miles out of my tank, premium gas.

My Explorer costed roughly the same on regular, and I got only about 310 miles out of it at the max.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Posted

Well I have a Kia optima and I just put $60 of 87 octane in and it didn't even top it off. I get about 30-33 mpg on highway with it.

If I were you I would get whichever one you like better. Gas prices will always go up and down regardless of what kind of car you get so get the one you like best that you can afford and be happy.

Right now I get like 12-15 city and 17-19 highway both the mitsubishis get 18 city and 25-28 highway

Posted

premium gas does make a difference but i dont know if it makes enough difference to pay off in the long run.

99 Gmc sierra extended cab

front speakers: DB drive 6.5

back speakers: DB drive 6.5

amp: none right not

subs: none right now

Future

waiting to get my 2 skar vvw 8s installed

Posted

My car is roughly $40-53+ depending if I fill up at 1/4 or at E. If I drive it down to E, I normally get about 380-400 miles out of my tank, premium gas.

My Explorer costed roughly the same on regular, and I got only about 310 miles out of it at the max.

which car do you have?

Posted

If you're getting a car with a performance engine (like you said between a Si, Evo X and Eclipse) I'd run premium, OR regular as long as it doesn't have Ethanol. There's lots to say about gasoline made with ethanol but the short end of the stick is, unless your engine was designed to run ethanol, it can be harmful to it. Ethanol has a bad quality: It's hydrous (meaning it draws in or contains water) and water and engines don't mix. I spent a few years experimenting with ethanol gas on my cars and my snowmobiles and I blew two sled engines and replaced fuel systems on my cars.

I know that's probably not a concern of yours but I just though I'd share my thoughts.

Just buy from Shell, they don't have any ethanol in any of their fuel grades.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s



 

Posted

I don't think premium gas makes a difference as far as mileage. As far as I understand it, premium gas is able to withstand detonation in engines with higher compression ratios, and thats the only real benefit. If there is a mileage difference, it's probably negligable. This was at least my knowledge from a few years ago, maybe things have changed...

My advice would be to get the car you like more. Gas is gonna be expensive these days regardless.

Posted

I know that gas will be expensive either way but im mainly wondering about if I get a car that takes premium will it end up costing me about the same as it does to fill up my gas guzzling 4runner? Because I know premium is more experience dive than regular so will I end up paying about the same per week in gas?

Posted

Oh and for everyone saying I should get the one I like better I like the mitsubishis better than the honda but everyone around my area says bad things about them other than my neighbors daughter who drives a spyder

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3190 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...