batteries - Size VS Quantity ?

Strictly from performance stand point is their a difference ... For a very solid easy to understand example would 2 2500 watt 50 ah batteries do better or worse than a single 5000watt 100ah battery ? As a battery bank not as the starting battery ... Or would it be the same performance wise ... Not price or size JUST performance ... Any input is greatly appreciated

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

2013 Kenworth T-660 Studio Sleeper-The daily and Money maker

I do what I want -push it till it pops!

Lead is Lead

100 lbs in one box would have the same capacity as 100 lbs in 2 boxes.

But.

With multiple batts you do get more plate surface area, which gives you more power in an instant. Useful for starting engines or playing SPL tones.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Thank you HHR ... Was hoping to be able to run 3+1 underhood xs power d5100R instead of say 1 d5100r underhood and a 3100( I think that's the big one lol ) in the rear ... It just makes my wiring slightly easier and allows me to wire how I want too ... Do you think 2 runs of each polarity in knuconcepts 1/0 would be good enough from front underhood to 3 d5100s in rear battery bank ? Or should I run 4 runs each ?

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

Thank you HHR ... Was hoping to be able to run 3+1 underhood xs power d5100R instead of say 1 d5100r underhood and a 3100( I think that's the big one lol ) in the rear ... It just makes my wiring slightly easier and allows me to wire how I want too ... Do you think 2 runs of each polarity in knuconcepts 1/0 would be good enough from front underhood to 3 d5100s in rear battery bank ? Or should I run 4 runs each ?

Is Knuconcept OFC or CCA wire?

OFC 0awg like the XS wire I offer is good for 200A at 14ft, and 250A at 12ft.

CCA wire is good for about 175A at 14ft and 200A at 12ft

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

I got their ofc wire ... I've also heard its slightly larger than 1/0 .. I THINK its rated for 300 amps .. I could be wrong so don't quote me on that lol

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

Ed,

Have you done any head to head comparison tests of OFC vs CCA wire? We did one right before finals and were very surprised to see the CCA wire dropping only about 0.1 volt more than the OFC across a 14 ft run of 1/0 when pulling 220 amps through it.

The Stinger OFC we had dropped about 0.65-0.7 volts over the run where as the American Bass Megaflex dropped 0.7-0.75 volts. Test was done with 2 regulated JL 1000/1 amps so we are going to try it again with unregulated amps, make a video and upload our results. I have looked all over and can not find any tests like this that have been conducted.

Ed is correct, as always : ) in saying that the parallel batteries should be slightly better. When you parallel two or more beside each other you parallel their internal resistance therefore allowing more current to flow. You also have more than one terminal post and connection for the current to flow through increasing you contact pads.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Ed,

Have you done any head to head comparison tests of OFC vs CCA wire? We did one right before finals and were very surprised to see the CCA wire dropping only about 0.1 volt more than the OFC across a 14 ft run of 1/0 when pulling 220 amps through it.

The Stinger OFC we had dropped about 0.65-0.7 volts over the run where as the American Bass Megaflex dropped 0.7-0.75 volts. Test was done with 2 regulated JL 1000/1 amps so we are going to try it again with unregulated amps, make a video and upload our results. I have looked all over and can not find any tests like this that have been conducted.

Ed is correct, as always : ) in saying that the parallel batteries should be slightly better. When you parallel two or more beside each other you parallel their internal resistance therefore allowing more current to flow. You also have more than one terminal post and connection for the current to flow through increasing you contact pads.

I havent done a test in years so obviously I have no videos or details on newer wire products.

Some CCA wires nowadays have up to 10% copper like the XS Power wire.

But I have seen a nice test done here.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

Thanks Ed!!

Very good video. I will have to do a heat test when we retest. We were only doing burps so heat was not an issue.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Ed,

I havent done a test in years so obviously I have no videos or details on newer wire products.

Some CCA wires nowadays have up to 10% copper like the XS Power wire.

But I have seen a nice test done here.

Great information in this thread and in that video. Thanks guys!

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

Archived