More alternator problems

You have the 1.7" pully. There isnt any smaller.

Your idling to low, i bet you if you tap the gas pedal it will jump right upto where it should be.

And as long as your not playing full tilt 12.3 while stopped wont hurt anything... I had a mechman 425a alt (hahahahaha) and it wouldnt do shit till about 1200rpm(engine speed) Even then this "425a" alt didnt do much...(ill leave it at that)

Stay with singer... He is a smart guy and will help you as much a he possibly can.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

I'm bypassing the car's computer now and charging at about 14.8.

I thought you were bypassing your ecm? If you have a bypass, when you start the car your alt should turn on and put out whatever voltage you have your bypass set at. When i first got my singer alt for my jeep ZJ it was acting the same way you describe, EXACTLY. After I connected the bypass that came with and i have not had a problem since.

Edit: Nija'd by crunk.

Also, My idiot light comes on if i turn up the voltage to anything over 14.5 and my in dash volt meter pegs the needle at 19v even though my dmm tells me it is outputting whatever i have my bypass set @....

Kenwood KIV-701
Crescendo BC2000D
DC Audio lvl3 w/ lvl4 upgrade, 18''
6ft^3 @ 27hz
MBquart ONX 4.125
(2) PWX 6.5

(2) PWX 8
(2) FT1
300amp Singer with VCM @14.5
Optima YT & D1200
My Build Log
dcsig.jpg

every company has their niche market. hifonics has successfully captured the average ignorant teenage boy.

Dont trip.. Ive never won anything in my life. Spite a 10lb cock and a bucket of balls at birth,......
Yeah.. like i said, nothing in my life. :shrug: meh, im cool with it, fuck it.

You have the 1.7" pully. There isnt any smaller.

Your idling to low, i bet you if you tap the gas pedal it will jump right upto where it should be.

And as long as your not playing full tilt 12.3 while stopped wont hurt anything... I had a mechman 425a alt (hahahahaha) and it wouldnt do shit till about 1200rpm(engine speed) Even then this "425a" alt didnt do much...(ill leave it at that)

Stay with singer... He is a smart guy and will help you as much a he possibly can.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

See if he can make your alt externally regulated to let you control the voltage if indeed the alt is in fact on when your using it. You will have to send your alt in to get it modified for the external regulator. If it can be done and is safe for your car see if you can do it. You might get a engine light on your dash as the external regulator bypasses the stock alt harness but as long as you know its fine go for it. My alt is like this but from mechman i was given the heads up about the light so I wouldn't be tripping out and everything working good still.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I did send it back in to get the external regulator put on it haha, and it works amazingly whenever I hit that ~800rpm mark, it's just that at idle it doesn't put out shit cuz I guess it's not turning on because I idle around 500 rpms hot. But yeah once I tap the gas and pass whatever the turn on mark is I'm right back to 14.8v in an instant. And I do get the in dash light coming on telling me that my battery is 'dead' because I don't have the plug hooked up to the alt (per Mike's instructions when he put the regulator on). Does anybody know how I'd go about getting my idle rpm's higher than 500? I'd really like to be idling at whatever the turn on rpm's for the alt are but have no clue where I'd start and googling it hasn't helped either

EDIT: Meant to quote you too fox, but yeah I really like Singer's customer service and everything which is why I picked him and yeah I'm understanding now what's going on. Just trying to figure out now if there's any way I can boost how many rpm's I get while idling so that my alt will kick in instead of me having to be on the gas constantly

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I didn't read what car or anything... But,

I've heard of those having the ECU re-flashed. Bumping the stock idle up.

You lose a bit of gas mileage and what have you.

The one email I got form MECHMAN when i was in the market actually suggested this. Bringing the stock RPM up to "turn on" levels for the new alt.

I really don't mind losing a little bit of gas mileage, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to be able to demo and not worry about having to be on the gas 24/7. Mike said something along the lines of there should be a screw on the throttle body or something else that I can make an adjustment to that'll boost my idle RPMs but I've no clue where to start. Took it down to an auto shop earlier to ask if anybody there knew of any tricks to boost idle RPMs and they all said they have no idea either.

I have an alt you can buy :). Mine was doing same thing. I got it with a smaller pulley. I replaced tensioner and new belt and really tightened it down. Then i got 14.4+ at rear batteries at idle. Cruising speed i get 14.5 - 14.7. Car idles at like 500 or so. Pontiac g6 2.4 ecotech

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

I really don't mind losing a little bit of gas mileage, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to be able to demo and not worry about having to be on the gas 24/7. Mike said something along the lines of there should be a screw on the throttle body or something else that I can make an adjustment to that'll boost my idle RPMs but I've no clue where to start. Took it down to an auto shop earlier to ask if anybody there knew of any tricks to boost idle RPMs and they all said they have no idea either.

There you go... and if Michael also suggested it, then your in the ball park. Adjustment of idle for new HO alts is not uncommon. Im sorry, but, im no help. To adjust mine, (2007 acura tsx) i had to actually have the "brain" flashed, and the idle speed "reset". Im sorry, i dont know about your situation, but, ill bet someone on the forum can help.

Hell, i bet if you just gained a couple hun worth of rev's, you would hit "turn on " speed, and be just fine........... I really think its worth a look around....

sorry i cant do more.

kyle

There you go... and if Michael also suggested it, then your in the ball park. Adjustment of idle for new HO alts is not uncommon. Im sorry, but, im no help. To adjust mine, (2007 acura tsx) i had to actually have the "brain" flashed, and the idle speed "reset". Im sorry, i dont know about your situation, but, ill bet someone on the forum can help.

Hell, i bet if you just gained a couple hun worth of rev's, you would hit "turn on " speed, and be just fine........... I really think its worth a look around....

sorry i cant do more.

kyle

Thanks for all the help Kyle, I reved up the engine slowly earlier and it seems that once I hit 8 or 900 rpms it shoots straight up to 14.8v

That was my turn on speed. 800rpm.

And i idled at 500.

And that was with a ultra small pulley...

Nothing else you can do, execpt park with your foot half on the gas, get a manual cable throttle adjuster, or ajust the motor/brain,whatever (however you do on yours) to up the revs.

I think your deal is a TBI. So, there should be a cable linkage. Follow it up to the throttle body. There should be a stopper, where you can adjust to open the butter fly valve..... get in there.. maybe shoot a pic.

Id set it aroun 9 or 1k,...,.. just to be sure that when you have your ac, and everything in the world on, you dont "bog" the motor down, and see less revs. Then, dont hit "turn" on speed.....

Archived